Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop overheats and turn's itself off.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by managers, May 16, 2007.

1. managers

managers Techie7 New Member

Over the last month or so my Laptop seems to get very hot and then it will shut itself down automatically.

I have a Toshiba satellite, about two years old. Not sure of the model number.

The problem seems to be happening more than ever now.
    Also when doing a full AVG antivirus scan it never completes and will overheat and turn itself off.
    Is it worth buying pressurised air and blowing into the vents or is there another solution.
    Maybe to many progammes are running on startup also..
    any help appreciated.
  2. brain_damage

brain_damage D-A-L Team Member (UK)

have you tried the scans etc in safe mode?

press F8 while it's booting

how many programmes are running?

press Ctrl -Alt -Delete to see how many applications then click on processes to see what amount of CPU is being used
  3. managers

I will give this a go thank's. The fan is spinning fine also...
    When i click on applications it will just show the current webpage i am on.
    around 61% cpu being used and 41 processes running..
    Last edited: May 17, 2007
  4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Yes it is worth cleaning it as much as possible. Over heating is a problem with all laptops because of the tight spaces, small cooling vents, and because they are difficult to clean. Taking it to a shop for a professional cleaning should be considered since laptops can be so tricky to gain access to clean thoroughly. Consider a Laptop Cooling Pad too.
  5. managers

Many thank's for the advice, i will get it to the shop when i get the chance.
    One thing that i have also noticed is that the Laptop only decides to get hot after i have plugged in the power pack. Sometimes it will run for hours with no problems and the problems start once you start using various programmes and applications.

Toshiba have also got some power saving options , is it worth altering these.
    For example the cpu processing speed is on it's highest setting number 4, this can be turned down.

Cooling method is on maximum performance.

I also usually use the laptop with the power supply plugged in, what power options should i use for effective running Full power, high power, normal, dvd presentation, long life, would altering any of these help, thank's again.:winkiss:
  6. Digerati

Charging causes heat. So when you plug in the power pack, more heat is generated. Running many applications causes the CPU and drives to be more active, also increasing heat. Yes, toggling down the CPU will extend battery run time, and probably reduce heat too - but may impact performance more than you like.

I don't know what power option would be best, I would look in the manual for that. I do recommend you only sit the laptop on a hard surface - they are not really suppose to go in your lap, or on the bed, carpet, etc. Many folks have had good luck using one of those cooling pads - some work off a free USB port.
  7. abduls16

abduls16 Techie7 New Member

As suggested by "Digerati"
    go to a computer repair shop and ask them to clean it out for you, unless you're familiar with laptops, specifically ask them to open up the laptop, remove the fan, clean the re-grease (thermal paste) the CPU and heat sink!
    hopefully this should solve your problems!
    Last edited: May 17, 2007
  8. managers

Many thank's, this is what will be done.....
  9. Digerati

Do understand that this is not guaranteed to fix your problems, but it is a necessary first step, that, as stated, hopefully will solve your problem.