Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't boot in safe mode (XP Pro)

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Faust, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faust

Faust Techie7 New Member

I recently discovered that I am not able to boot my computer in safe mode. (I am able to boot in normal mode.) When I start my computer and press F8 I get the screen with all the various choices (safe mode, last good config, normal etc) and I select either safe mode or safe mode with command line. I see the safe mode screen and then I get a WinXP logon screen. When I select Administrator (the only user on my machine) the computer just reboots in normal mode. I have also tried to use the msconfig method to boot into safe mode but all that results in doing is cycling me through reboots. I end up having to boot using a previous last known good configuration from the safe mode screen to stop the recycling when using the msconfig method.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  2. brain_damage

brain_damage D-A-L Team Member (UK)

Hi and welcome to D-A-L :)

have you got a XP disc to try a repair instalation
  3. Faust

Faust Techie7 New Member

Thank you for the speedy reply.

Yes. I should have a disk. Buried but I should have it. Anything special I should know about the repair process?
  4. brain_damage

How do you perform a reinstallation of Windows XP, sometimes called a repair installation?

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.
  5. Faust

Faust Techie7 New Member

I feel a bit foolish in that it didn't occur to me to repair Windows. Although I must say I can't imagine how it went into disrepair.

Is it safe to assume that this will not cause me to have to start from scratch and reformat & reinstall all of my stuff? If there is a 1% chance of this happening OK, but if there is a higher probability then I'd better wait.

Pending no warnings from you I will press ahead this eve. and (hopefully) post a success story. Again thank you.
  6. brain_damage

A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.

A Repair Install will replace files altered by adware and malware, but will not fix an adware, malware problem.

from here
  7. Faust

Faust Techie7 New Member

I can't do the repair this evening but I promise to report back when all is done. Thank you very much for the information and your help.
  8. Faust

Faust Techie7 New Member

It worked. Thanks again for your help.
  9. brain_damage

Thanks for reporting back and the thanks :)

This thread has been Resolved and Closed.

If you started this thread and the problem returns, please P.M. me and I'll reopen the thread. :)

If you have a different problem, please start a new thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.