1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gifs won't download

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by imported_Carol, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imported_Carol

imported_Carol Techie7 New Member

First of all I am not very savvy on the computer. I recently lost everything on my computer. I had to re-install my McAfee virus scan, firewall and privacy. Now when I want to post a gif or sig on my groups they won't download for me. If anyone sends me new gifs or sigs, not all of them will download for me to save. I have no idea why this is happening, and I hope someone can help me. Thanks Carol
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Sounds like your firewall or security settings may be blocking.

Do you recieve any error messages? Red X?

What is the exact format involved? You say "groups"?

Do you have any image issues just browsing the internet?
  3. imported_Carol

I think it may be that too, but not sure. I don't know what you mean by red x, can you explain please, but remember, I am very computer illiterate.
    By goups, I mean the different ladies groups I belong to, where we post messages, etc. a fun group of ladies. I don't know what you mean by image issues just browsing the internet, you definately have to explain that one. Thank you
  4. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Can you please describe in more detail what this entails:

"I want to post a gif or sig on my groups they won't download for me. If anyone sends me new gifs or sigs, not all of them will download for me to save."

I was assuming things like smileys :yippee: which are .gif files and also image signatures is what you were referring to.

[​IMG]

Sometimes if a .gif image will not download it is replaced by a red X

Sometimes you may receive an error message.

If you could describe what it is that you are doing (especially defining: download and save) that may help us help. Are you asked to actually choose to download and save these images?

By browsing the Internet I mean if you are on web sites such as Google News:

http://news.google.com/news?tab=wn&ie=UTF-8&ned=us

Do you see the images?

Sorry for the confusion.
  5. imported_Carol

Yes, smileys and image signatures are what I mean. I have them saved to my computer and when I want to post them in a message like you just did, they do not show up. I get not red x, just the message I typed. My "group" is a web site, similiar to this where we post messages, etc, recipes, and so on.
  6. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    How do you post them?

For example on this board you can either choose the board's smileys from an Advanced Reply or you can add an on-line image by pasting the URL into the box opened by clicking the yellow rectangle on the top of a Reply box.

Can you post any of your images on this board?
  7. imported_Carol

Please try and explain how to do it and I will give it a try.
  8. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    I was wondering how you did it before when you could on your other boards/sites. ???

On this board/site if you want to use a board smiley you click the box below this one that says Go Advanced

Here on the right you see the board smileys. To insert one you just click it.
    :scatter:

If the image is on your computer then look lower below Additional Options and choose Attach Files > Manage Attachments

Upload file from your computer > Browse
  9. imported_Carol

Thanks for your help, but my gson is calling me and I have to get him back in bed. Hope to get this resolved soon, Carol
  10. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    So that method works here.

Can you describe how you do it (or try to) on your other sites?

Is it the same method? Or what exactly is the process?

Also (other questions):

Was XP completely reinstalled?

Was SP2 reinstalled?

Is your Firewall McAfee?

Did you disable the XP SP2 firewall?

What exactly do you mean by Privacy? Are these McAfee settings?

As a VERY temporary experiment you can turn off all McAfee applications and try to load your images.

To do this right click the McAfee icon(s) in the System Tray (lower right by the clock) and choose Exit or Disable etc.
  11. imported_Carol

Its just about the same method. I go into my groups, click reply, a window pops up, and I click the yellow square that has a little mountain in it, a window opens, and I click "my computer", type "my pictures", click browse, and my gifs come up. I pick what I want, click open, then click open, then click add photos and it inserts it into my reply to the group. I then type a message, & click "send message" It is then the gif doesn't load on the reply, only the message.
    XP was on my computer when I bought it
    I don't know what SP2 is
    My Firewall is McAfee
    I don't know what you mean by XP SP2 firewall
    Privacy is a McAfee setting that protects your personal info, credit card #s
    SS" all things like that, that you put into it.

I just disabled McAfee Firewall, and Privacy, sent a message to my group with a gif, and the gif did load on the page. So it has something to do with my firewall & or privacy that is blocking me from sending them. Carol
  12. imported_Carol

jephree

I finally have it cleared up. I got a live technician from McAfee and he had me remove all my McAfee, and then re-install it. It seems to be working now, thanks for all the help you gave me last night. I hope I didn't drive you batty, and make you pull your hair out of your head. Thanks again
    Carol
  13. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Glad you figured it out!

Thanks for the update and the thanks!

Let us know if we can help further in the future.

If you want this thread reopened just PM me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.