1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formatting a Hitachi Deskstar Sata Hard Drive as a slave drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by geoheid, Oct 16, 2010.

1. geoheid

geoheid Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    I recently received a Hitachi Deskstar 2TB Sata hard drive as a gift that came without formatting and installation instructions. (I’m not too sure I would have been able to perform this task with instructions!)

I would like to format and install this new hard drive as a slave drive.

I have limited technical know-how; however I can follow step-by-step instructions to perform most tasks

Too, I am interested in purchasing a Sata hard drive docking station with a USB connection. Recommendations of makes/model would be helpful
    I would be most grateful for any assistance that you might provide me with the above interests.

Cordially
    Geoheid

Computer specs:

Custom built computer
    Windows XP Pro – Service Pack 3 – Build 2600
    240 gigahertz Intel Core 2 duo
    2048 Megabytes installed memory
    P5K Deluxe motherboard – Wifi-AP edition
    Multimedia – Creative SB Audigy 2 (WDM)
    :thumbup2:
  2. Mister Fink

Mister Fink Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Hi :)

Firstly, SATA drives are not like PATA drives, and there is no Master/Slave configuration to deal with. It's one driver per channel. So you firstly need to ensure you have a spare SATA port on your motherboard. Usually there is at least 2 ports, so if you only have one Hard Drive currently installed, then you should have at least one spare port. Buy a SATA cable, then install the drive. Installing the drive will be a case of shutting the PC down completely, opening up the case, finding an empty slot for the Hard Drive to sit in, securing the Hard Drive with screws (you may have to buy some screws), connecting the SATA cable between drive and motherboard, and then connecting power to the Hard Drive. It's a fairly simple task, but if you are not confortable doing this then I would strongly recommend getting someone who is, as you can end up doing serious damage to components and possibly yourself. Formatting can probably then be carried out from within Windows.