Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flashing hourglass appears alongside the mouse pointer

Discussion in 'Older Windows Versions' started by wraith, Apr 8, 2007.

1. wraith

wraith Techie7 New Member

Shortly after I boot-up my Compaq PC running Windows ME, a rapidly flashing hourglass appears alongside the mouse pointer on the screen.

So far, I've run three different virus scanners, and three spyware/malware scanners. Everything comes up OK. I restored my system to a couple days before the problem started and after running normally for a short time, the same problem came up again.

I also tried stopping different processes one at at a time but that didn't stop the hourglass from blinking. Last thing I tried was turning my system off and disconnecting all cables including power and then restarting everything back up. Same problem. And it doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing on my PC, the hourglass just stays there flashing! WHY??? What can I do to get this to stop???

Thanks,

Wraith
  2. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

Have you checked the Windows themes / display options to make sure that it's still using the standard Windows display theme and not some weird one with animated pointers?
  3. wraith

hi djnafey,

thanks for the question but that's not the problem.

best regards,

wraith
  4. wraith

I still have the flashing hourglass problem. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Wraith
  5. Komputor

Komputor Techie7 New Member

My boss just started having this same problem on his computer on Friday and it's still doing it today (Monday). I've tried a few Google searches and this is the only place where I could find the same problem. I've only used Windows 98 and XP, but he's got ME. I'm not an IT guy or anything, but as the most computer-literate person in the office I get stuck with any and all tech problems.

He's still using the original pointers and I checked the mouse settings, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. He doesn't know anything about computers so he wouldn't have changed any of the factory settings.
  6. wraith

I've still got the problem. I think it may have something to do with MS IE but I'm still investigating. I'll post if I find out anything more. Let me know if you come up with anything. Thanks.
  7. Komputor

Komputor Techie7 New Member

wraith---my boss had an update that needed to be installed, and that did the trick. Like I said, he doesn't know anything about computers, so I have no idea how long it had been sitting in his System Tray waiting to be installed.
  8. wraith

Hi Komputor,

I've still got the flashing hourglass problem. Do you know what update your boss installed that corrected the problem? Any information you can provide is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Wraith