1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FILESCAN MFC application has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by georgedou@optusnet.com.au, Jan 30, 2008.

1. georgedou@optusnet.com.au

georgedou@optusnet.com.au Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    I have a Microtek F1 scanner with the latest version of ScanWizard Pro Version 7.041. This a very new scanner here in Australia.

Driver 4800 AF Scanner Version 1.06 software appears at the beginning. Every time I open the software and try to start a Pre Scan a dialog box pops up saying -

FILESCAN MFC application has encountered a problem and needs to close.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Please tell Microsoft ……….

I can't use this software because it closes down after the message.

I did a Google on “FILESCAN MFC application has encountered a problem and needs to close” and it brings up several other people with similar scanner problems. Several; were using Microtek Scanners and Scan Wizard software.

So this is not unique with my setup. I also run SilverFast scanner software with the same scanner and it works fine. The scanner itself works fine.
    The responses to the other people was often too technical for me to follow.

I have spoke to Microsoft and they say the problem is not the XP operating system but the scanning software.

I am running Windows XP with SP2 with a 380GB HD.
    Has anybody got a good suggestion how to fix this annoying problem.
    I am eager to try this software.
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    "The responses to the other people was often too technical for me to follow."

Can you post links to these responses?
  3. georgedou@optusnet.com.au

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Hi Jephree,
    Yes those that I can contact I have but some links are so old.
  4. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    I was wondering if you could post the links here so we might get some idea of the replies already offered on the topic.

Maybe someone here will understand these replies.
  5. georgedou@optusnet.com.au

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    This is somer of it.

MFC means Microsoft Foundation Class, eg Visual Studio (which is close to Visual Basic), so these errors are coming from code created by Medion. The INITCMS may be a Content Management System. As this has not installed correctly the rest of the software may not be able to operate.
    The Filescan error may be due to INITCMS not being loaded. The most likely reason INITCMS failed is that it could not register a dll (dynmaic Link Library) file possibly becuase one of the same name exists and is in use.
    In which case their diagnosis is correct even if not very well explained.
    In the faint hope that the installer is actually correct, the best you can do is uninstall using Add/Remove Programs. Manually delete any left over directories. Use the System Informatio's file signature checker and correct any errors found. Use MSCONFIG to disable as many of the startup programs as you can. Reboot and try to install again.
    If that works, re-enable your start up programs. If that does not work get back to tech support and request advice from Germany on what these errors may mean.
    http://www.helpscreen.com.au/index.php?cid=15&msgid=1430799397

This is the site that originally feature this problem.