1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOS windows keeps flashing when entering windows desktop at start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Baddy, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Baddy

Baddy Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Please help me!!. My laptop experienced this problem. When booting its fine but later while entering windows (desktop displays) there is a continuous flash of the
    DOS screen (cmd window). After I experienced this problem my virus scan (McAfee 8) could not respond anymore. Try to reinstall but the installer on the process just flash out, it just disappear.

Try repair install (window xp 2003 SP2) but no change.

Please anybody help me if you know any tip just inform me.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    No so thing as XP "2003". I am assuming you have either XP Home SP2 or XP Pro SP2.

Can you see what the DOS screen says? What if you boot into Safe Mode?

Please clarify "continuous flash". That is a confusing term for me, sort of like a "constant moment". Do you mean the DOS windows opens and immediately closes over and over again and never stops? Or does the window opens then immediately closes once every boot?

Note that some programs use a similar looking "splash" screen when loading.

Are there any errors shown in Device Manager?

McAfee 8 is an anti-virus program, have you scanned for other types of malware? You might want to run through Cleaning Out Malware for a complete cleaning.
  3. Baddy

Baddy Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Oh Sorry its windows XP SP2 (I got mixed up with MS office and Windows OS).
    The problem is like this. The DOS screen pops up and and disappear before I could even read the lines. It does this for almost 4 times. This is a DOS screen which I never experienced since I got my PC last year(2006). This problem even slows down windows start up time.
    By the way Digerati this for you tip I'll try and scan for malware and update you with the problem.

Once again thanks alot.
  4. Digerati

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    No problem - that happens all the time.

If this problem just started recently, you might try a system restore to a day before the problem started. That said, I would still run through the malware scans.
  5. Baddy

Baddy Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Digerati the link you gave me really helps me learn alot. As I've red through your
    Malware post I come across this section <b>Scan for viruses and worms</b>. Its about the free online scanners. In my case I could not even install a virus scan software at the moment, do you think the free online scanner (Kaspersky Online Scanner,Trend Micro HouseCall and PandaSoft ActiveScan) can help with this problem. I mean to remove viruses then later on when my Laptop functions normally then I install
    one of your recommended virus-scanners.

Thank you so much for being so helpful.
  6. Digerati

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    That's why those on-line scanners are nice to know.

Note, I did not really recommend any AV scanner - I just suggested AVG Free because it is effective and the price is right. There are many capable alternatives including NOD32, AVAST, AntiVir, F-Secure and others. The point is to have one, keep it running and updated.