Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deleting Temporary Files (NOT Temporary Internet Files)

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by geoff, Feb 25, 2006.

1. geoff

geoff Techie7 New Member

While running Disk Cleanup in Windows XP Home Edition, is it safe to delete Temporary Files? (not Temporary Internet Files). When I click on the heading "Temporary Files" in the Disk Cleanup dialogue box a message comes up saying:

"You can safely delete temporary files that have not been modified in over a week".

So how do I know if temporary files have not been modified in over a week in order to delete them safely? Advice on this matter would be very welcome as I would then gain an extra 220MB of useful space on a pathetically small 9.5GB (in total) disk drive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Geoff.
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

The Disk Cleanup utility will take care of the file selection. Just check the box and go.

Most of these files are leftover installation files.

Here are other temporary locations that you can manually clean:

http://www.clickopedia.com/safelydelete.php
  3. cyberjunkee

cyberjunkee Dedicated Member

Hi ,

I just made a similar post . I have always preferred XP but have recently started to use vista . One way to clear all temp files on your pc using XP is to click > start > run > and type %temp% in the CP box . The reply on my post from one of the site moderators advised downloading tempfile cleaner . Here's the link ( freeware )

TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer -> Anti-malware Tools -> Downloads

Certainly works well , cleared over 1.5 gig of temp files from my pc and that's from a relatively fresh install of windows vista .
    1 person likes this.
  4. dobhar

dobhar Technical Guest

Hi geoff...Just adding onto jeph's and cyberjunkee's info. I use a program called ATF-Cleaner. Works quite well...

It's a single exe so no need to install...just double-click the exe. Atri (programmer) has a new version coming out that will incorporate Google Chrome and Safari ...
    I've added a pic of ATF-Cleaner below...

Attached Files:

5. broni

broni Malware Annihilator Techie7 Moderator Head Security

ATF is surely very good program, however I found out, TFC is even more thorough.
  6. dobhar

dobhar Technical Guest

Thanks Broni...I was planning on giving TFC a try later as I'm on my Linux (Ubuntu) Laptop right now. I check it out later on one of my Windoze boxes... :)
  7. broni

You're welcome :)
  8. dobhar

dobhar Technical Guest

Oh yeah...sorry cyberjunkee...thanks to you as well... :)
  9. cyberjunkee

Broni knows her stuff - read on my post a few days ago - - 3 maybe 4 weeks on a fresh install - 1.5gib cleared of temp files . Temp files will slow the performance of your Pc - the link to Bron's suggestion is the best I've used - try it it's freeware .
  10. broni

It's him, not her :)

Please remove your inappropriate signature.
  11. dobhar

dobhar Technical Guest

Yeppers...I know Broni knows "his" stuff... :) I've known "him" for awhile and he's one of the good ones... :)
  12. cyberjunkee

My apologies Mr Broni :cool2:
  13. broni

No problem :)