Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer slow to start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by L Turner, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L Turner

L Turner Techie7 New Member

I am sure this has been discussed many times. My computer at home takes forever to come on or get up and running. It takes a good 6 to 7 minutes when I restart or turn it on. I have tried some of the tips offered here but there are still things loading I guess that take so much time. Can you help?
  2. spud

spud D-A-L Team Member (UK)

3. messyjesse

messyjesse Dedicated Member

You could try TuneXP. It has an option to do an Ultra-Fast Booting...or do you mean that it takes a while for the computer to come to a usable state after the boot?
  4. Roscoe

Roscoe Techie7 New Member

One reason may be that you have too many programmes in StartUp and you are most probably unaware that they are there. I would suggest that you go to START go to RUN and type in the resulting window msconfig and in the SYSTEM CONFIGURATION UTILITY click on the Start Up tab. You can remove all the ticks in each programme listed with the exception of your firewall and virus programme. You will need to restart for the changes to take effect. I feel certain that you will see an improvement. Let me know how you go.

Roscoe.
  5. messyjesse

messyjesse Dedicated Member

But there could be some Windows services that shouldn't be unticked. Only untick the things that you do not need!
  6. Chad Hampton

Chad Hampton Techie7 New Member

Hi,

I totally agree with Roscoe..clean a list of software from start-up..
    I use a tool which cleans software from startup dat u want...named Advanced System Optimizer..its feature Startup Manager help u in dis...Startup Manager displays helpful descriptions of each of the items in your Start-Up programs list.it's easy to trim your list of Start-Up applications down to only the programs that are essential to the operation of your computer..!! helped me a lot..!! :)

U can download it 4m systweak site.
  7. Dan Penny

Dan Penny Staff Techie7 Moderator

Do you realize that you are replying to a thread from 2007?

This thread has been closed due to inactivity from the original poster.

If you started this thread and the problem returns, or, the case has not been properly resolved, please send a Private Message to a Moderator to have the thread opened again. If you have a different problem, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.