Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check Disk for Consistency Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by tepmurc, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepmurc

tepmurc Techie7 New Member

Over the last week or so almost everytime I turn on my computer it starts to do a check for disk consistency. It goes always to step 3 and freezes, nothing happens. I then have to reset (pushing the restart button doesn't work) my computer and press a key to cancel the check. I have a NTSF file system on Win XP with SP2. I don't know what to do. I read a thread in this forum ( here ) I tried check the registry, but the first two things to check I couldn't find, then the third was as it should be. Please any suggestions welcome.
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Did this just happen "out of the blue"?

New hardware/ software? This is often associated with video card drivers for example.

Do you have a restore point set before this problem?
  3. tepmurc

This was just out of the blue, I haven't put anything new on my computer in a while. And for some reason system restore was turned off, I think a installation ages ago need me to and I never turned it back on. So that option is out.
  4. jephree

There are ways to stop chkdsk from running but I would wonder why it is freezing.

Do you have an XP CD? (what "sort" is it)? (OEM recovery? Full Install?)

If so I would run scannow. Here is a guide:

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
  5. tepmurc

Thank you for your help. It all worked out great. No more problems.
  6. jephree

Good to hear! Let us know if we can help in the future ;)

This thread has been Resolved and Locked to prevent other users hijacking the thread and to help others know which threads have been Resolved and which are still being worked on.

If you started this thread and the problem returns or the case has not been properly Resolved, please send a Private Message to a Moderator of this forum to have the thread opened again. If you have a different problem, please start a new thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.