1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can,t Use The Last Known Good Configuration

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by chip, Jan 30, 2006.

1. chip

chip Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    I Can,t Use The Last Known Configuration.
    I Know That You Have To Restart The Computer And Then You Suppous To See "please Select The Operating System To Start, And Press F8". But I Dont See That.
    Please Help.win Xp Thank You
    Chip
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Try tapping F8 immediately after the BIOS POST or computer logo screen goes off.
  3. chip

chip Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    i done that lots of time, it doesn't work .
    sometimes i press f8 from the moment it restart till the desktop loads, still nothing.
  4. whitelightning

whitelightning Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    press f5 insted
  5. HJThis

HJThis Techie7 New Member

Hello,chip

Well this is one thing i have done when this happen & i can't use F8
    just hold the Power Butto in tell the PC shuts off then right away
    turn it on.

Windows may go right to the option screen for you
    where you can go with Last Known good Configuration.

HGD
  6. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    If you are unable to boot into XP normally you can use the XP CD to run the Recovery Console if your XP is a Microsoft retail disk. If XP was pre-installed you will need to check your manual for recovery options.

If you cannot boot into Windows I would suggest first trying the Recovery Console:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307654

To try to fix the boot:

Assuming that your XP is on C: then:

Type:

FIXMBR C:

then enter. After that completes type:

FIXBOOT C:

BOOTCFG /rebuild

EXIT

then reboot.

If in the process you are asked to run chkdsk say YES.

Also after the BOOTCFG /rebuild you will be prompted to:

C:\Windows
    1. Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):
    2. Enter Load Identifier: (Custom description for an operating system loading from the Boot menu)
    3. Enter Operating System Load Options: (that is: /fastdetect)

Reply:
    1. Yes
    2. XP
    3. /fastdetect

If this fails you can run a Repair Install that will leave your data intact:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
  7. chip

chip Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    i finely got the page to show up, by pressing F8 and F5 at the same time. but i can't choose the "last known good configuration" cos i can't move up or down.
    a tried the arows/ the page up and down/ the -and +, and nothing works . i had 20 sec to do it. anyone has any idea please help. thank you very much everyone.
  8. HJThis

HJThis Techie7 New Member

Hi,chip

Hmm not sure but try the Tab key

HGD
  9. chip

chip Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    I Can,t Display The Page Again. I Have No Bloody Clue.
  10. Jaynee

Jaynee Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Check you haven't got the F lock key pressed on the keyboard. Do you have another keyboard you could try?
  11. chip

chip Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    i finaly opened the page 'the last good.............' but i couden't choos it again. i pressed every button on the kboard,i hade a bit more time this time 150 sec. but it did not work.
    and no i dont'have onother kbord, but this one is decent it's microsoft it soulden't be a problem. i dont know what else to do. last night i got the blue screen, saying the windows has shut down to prevent demegy to yor computer. so i don't know what the hell is going on. thank you for your time. :confused: :mad: :eek: :eek:
  12. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Last known good configuration is basically System Restore.

Have you tried running System Restore from within XP?

If you want to track these errors please post the messages verbatim.

Change this setting if you haven't already:

rt. click My Computer then click Properties then Advanced then Startup and Recovery Settings then unclick Automatically restart

Also: look in your Event viewer: rt. click My Computer then click Manage then Event Viewer.
    Or: Administrative Tools/Event Viewer or Start/Run/ eventvwr
    Open the system as well as the application tabs & look for X errors. Click error line for details.
    Post back the source & event id & Description especially of errors that seem to coincide with a crash. Also check the Information lines that might coincide with this issue.

How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

Do you have your XP CD or was XP preinstalled on your machine? If the latter what is the make & model of the computer? Do you have the Recovery Disks?
  13. chip

chip Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    the most common one is; The machine wide default launch and activation security descriptor is invalid.it contains access control entries with permissions that are invalid. the requested action was therefore not performed.
    The other error : the system restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000243' while processing the file 'sweeper.cfg' on the volume 'harddisk volume 1'. it has stopped monitoring the volum.
    next error: the portable serial number service failed to start due to the the following error; the executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.
    next error: the massage queuing triggers service depends on the massage queuing service which failed to start cos of the following error %%0
    next error: the SAP agent service depends on the following nonexistent service:Nwlnklpx.
    next error: the steganos encryption engin (version 503)[Driver] service failed to start due to this error; the system cannot find the file specified.
    the last error: the SNMP Service is ignoring agent key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IPXMibAgent\Current Version because it is missing or misconfigured.
    I used system restore all the time , the computer is fine for a week and than it playes up again.
    yes i do have the XP CD AND ALSO IT WAS PREINSTALLED. NO I DON'T HAVE A RECOVERY DISK . I TRYED TO BACK UP BUT I WOULD NEED AT LEAST 200000 FLOPYES TO BACK IT UP I HAVE A 400 GIG HARDDRIVE. I DONT KNOW THE MODEL OF MY COMPUTER COS I HADE IT MADE AFTER MY SPECYFICATIONS. ON THE XP CD IT SAYS Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition [Version 2005]
    i have tried to reinstalled window but when it's asking for the second CD it says that is not the right one it can not find the files it's looking for. THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR TIME.
  14. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    System Restore is not monitoring because of a conflict with SpySweeper. This might also be the Last Known Config issue.

You might want to temporarily disable SpySweeper & remove it from starting up with Windows.

To reset System Restore you can right click on My Computer then click Properties then System Restore: turn it off and then back on again. This will erase all previous points but will start the service anew.

There are 2 disks to your Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition [Version 2005]? This was provided by the builder OEM? You may need to contact them as to your reinstall issue.

Is SP2 installed?

If you change the restart setting you should get detailed stop messages.

Also if you want to try and analyze the XP errors:

Go to start | search (type in) .dmp
    Note the location of your .dmp files.

Then:

1) Download and install the
    Debugging Tools from Microsoft
    2) Download and install this
    debugwiz
    3) Open the Wiz & Browse to, or paste in the path to, your .dmp file.
    4) After the Wiz creates a Text document attach it back to this thread.
  15. chip

chip Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    i download it, but when i tried to run it i got a error msg saing c:\Documents and Settings\User\Desctop\dbg_x86_6.6.03.5.exe is not a valid Win 32 application.
  16. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Just to verify:

You download the Debugging Tools from Microsoft. After you download this there is no reason to open or touch it.

The debugwiz is a batch file that uses the former program to produce the log.

In other words the only "program" to run is the debugwiz. Hope this makes sence :D

As seen here: How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

The batch file:
    This batch file is the debugwiz