1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying blinking mouse arrow

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Theo Jager, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theo Jager

Theo Jager Techie7 New Member

Hi, I hope someone can help me. It's not a critical problem but an annoying one. I'm posting this here because I'm running Windows XP pro.

My mouse pointer / cursor / arrow is blinking. By that I mean there seams to be a secondary mouse arrow witch flashes and for a split second replaces the standard mouse arrow.

The "secondary" mouse arrow is a standard white arrow with at the right top a little disk / CD.

How do I get rid of it?

I've tried to locate it by searching all the picture files through "search for files and folders" type: -all the pictures listed-, in the Windows/cursor folder, any other .cur or .ani files. Nothing.

I've installed two things this week, 1. a new dvd player with PowerDVD, witch I've removed after the blinking started to see whether it was something the powerDVD program had done. 2. Microsoft office 2000.

I hope someone can tell me how to get rid of the secondary mouse pointer.

Many thanks in advance.

Theo
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    would seem the likely culprit is the dvd software (my guess)

i would suggest searching for powerdvd to make sure you got it all off, (make sure you have hidden files and folders showing)

if you dont find anything there, do you have a restore point before the installation of powerdvd? (it actually should have set a restore point)

try a restore

there are some registry searches possible if these things dont work

try the search & or restore & post back ;)

p.s. :eek: please pardon my wonder; but i just had to ask; do you have a cd/dvd in the drive?
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2004
    1 person likes this.
  3. Theo Jager

jephree.

first thanks for the response.

I did a full search and removed some residual remains of cyberlink and their powerDVD, no effect. I checked the CD in the DVD, witch wasn't that bad of a suggestion, I wish it had been that. I did a search in the registry for powerDVD and Cyberlink and removed a number of things, no effect.

About the system restore, here's a funny story. I found someone else on the Internet who had a blinking cursor witch was caused by a mail-worm. The symptoms he described where very similar to mine, so I followed the same solution and downloaded a worm-removal tool from symantic. It said to turn off your system restore before you ran the tool, and so I did, but if you turn it off it also removes all restore points. Needles to say the removal tool didn't find anything (I have systemworks 2004 running all the time). And so here I am with an unsuccessful solution and no more restore points to restore to, wasn't that a funny story or what. :eek:
  4. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    google came up with a few hits

Here
  5. Theo Jager

Jephree,

So it seams everything is on the Internet, it's just a matter of finding it and typing the right key words.

I have a standard Aopen dvd drive and the, “keep a CD in the player” did the trick. I'll keep looking for better solution and when I do I'll report back. Thanks for your help.

Theo.
  6. Tech

Tech Techie7 New Member

might the problem with the mouse driver

if you have another mouse with its device driver, uninstall the mouse driver first, plug in another mouse and reboot. Install the driver and see what will come of it

Tech
  7. Theo Jager

Tech, Jephree

I read about the disconnecting and connecting your mouse. I found another solution on the Aopen forum, my DVD-player being an Aopen DVD-1648/AAP, to update the firmware, in my case to 1.06.

http://club.aopen.com.tw/forum/viewmessage.asp?forumID=21&MessageID=52350

witch takes you to the entire thread on the matter of the blinking cd icon cursor. :)

I've updated the firmware and it seems to have done the trick for now, if it stays this way for a couple of days I'll report back that it worked, or didn't.

Thank you for now,

Theo.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  8. Theo Jager

Everyone,

Updating the firmware did the trick.

Theo.
  9. mani

mani Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    my mouse is blinking when iam opening a file please tell me a solution
  10. sorahikaru

sorahikaru Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    For fixing the blinking mouse cursor when using an AOPEN DVD Drive:
    1. go to the website of AOpen.com
    2. go to Downloads in the top menu
    3. select product: DVD Drivers
    4. select your model (Which in my case was DVD-1648 / AAP
    5. select catagory: Firmware
    6. download the newest stable version (which was R1.07 for me)
    7. after you completed the download, run the firmware setup file
    8. follow the procedure exactly. The procedure I got was:
    AOpen DVD1648/AAP F/W R1.07 upgrade procedure:
    1. Choose Target Drive to "DVD1648/AAP"
    2. Choose Source File to "DVD1648-R107.bin"
    3. Press "Flash", after flash completed reboot system.

I did exactly what AOpen said and now I do not have the blinking mouse cursor problem anymore.
  11. Dan Penny

Dan Penny Staff Techie7 Moderator

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    With the exception of mani's post a year ago, this thread has been inactive since 2004.

This thread has been closed due to inactivity from the original poster.

If you started this thread and the problem returns, or, the case has not been properly resolved, please send a Private Message to a
    Moderator to have the thread opened again. If you have a different problem, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.