Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on how to start up built in laptop webcam.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help' started by Martex, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Martex

Martex Techie7 New Member

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Li3710 laptop and would like to test if the webcam is working, according to instructions I should press `FN` & `F7` keys. The camera lights up but no picture, , do I have to download software ie `Skype`.
    anyone advise further please?
  2. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Look for webcam software that should have come built into your system. Also yahoo instant messenger as well as msn IM can use webcams.
  3. kenny111111

kenny111111 Techie7 New Member

hello martex. as townsbg said

to do that go to start > all programs and it should say something like fujitsu web cam
    just click on it.
    I sent an attachment (mine is an acer) and I do have skype.
    but you don't need just to test your web cam.

here is a link to skype for free download. works well (both partys must have skype installed)

everything is free on skype. Skype 4.1 for Windows - Download the latest version of Skype and get free computer calls

good luck on whatever you decide.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. Martex

Hi Kenny,
    Thanks for rsponce, followed directions, and still I can`t find any reference to in built webcam.
  5. kenny111111

hello
    sorry. try this (I just did it) start > type webcam (into the search box) does it show up in the menu?
  6. kenny111111

hello again

I was just reading online and ran across this. follow instructions but use the name of your machine instead.

1. Click the Windows Start button.
    2. Click Control Panel and then Device Manager.
    3. Double-click Imaging Devices then right-click on Chicony USB 2.0 Camera and select Update Driver Software.
    4. Select Browse my computer for the driver software.
    5. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
    6. Select Chicony USB 2.0 Camera from the list, and click Next.
    The webcam should now work properly.

good luck
  7. Martex

Hello Kenny,

Thanks for your efforts, followed instructions but I don`t seem to have `Imaging Devices`!
  8. kenny111111

hello martex

well then. that seems to be the problem. try this.

go to control panel (classic view) click on add hardware > when window pops up click "next"

when the next window pops up choose "search for and install the hardware automatically"(recommended) click next

when the next window pops up > click next

there you should find imaging devices. (thats as far as i went because my webcam works already)
    click > next and i would think it will install your webcam software.

PS: I also dont have UAC (user account control) enabled on my laptop. so any time you get prompted you will have to click ok or type a password.

good luck. (you can do this)
  9. Martex

Hi Kenny,
    Thanks for responce, followed instructions but the only driver that was offered was for a scanner, nothing else! cheers.
  10. kenny111111

sorry
    I would contact the manufacturer to see how to enable a preinstalled webcam. http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/

be sure to let us know how you do it, because i'm sure it will help someone else.

good luck

PS: when you got to the screen that showed the scanner did you click "show all devices"?
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009