1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPerfect address book problem

Discussion in 'Older Windows Versions' started by whulse, Jul 15, 2004.

1. whulse

whulse Techie7 New Member

Since going from Win98Se to Win2000Pro my address book in WordPerfect Suite 8 will not function. The error I get when opening address book is "an error occurred trying to logon to MAPI for address book services". Pressing OK gives another error "There was an error starting the address book.". Can anyone enlighten me on why it would try to go to MAPI in the first place or how I can get it to go? I have reinstalled it 4 times but still get the errors. It appears to install correctly with this exception: When I go into setup and start, it goes through several screens but ends up asking for the CD to be inserted, and a path to be entered showing a file PFSet8.INI or another file Perfe8.INI. When entered, these files cannot be found. However, when I explore the disk I can locate both files. I also have MSOffice2000 installed and use Outlook, which has an address book, but I didn't want to use the Outlook address book in WordPerfect, not that I can get Wordperfect to recognize the MS Outlook address book anyway. In WPSuite8 I have had networking both installed and not installed, and still get the same messages. The MB is a PCChips M755 with a Pentium 3. I also have an ATI All-In-Wonder Video card installed. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

2. putasolutions

putasolutions Techie7 New Member

An Error Has Occurred Trying to Logon to MAPI for Address Book Services
    DocumentID: 16173
    Revision Date: 05-Mar-98 11:10:49 AM

The information in this document applies to:
    WordPerfect 8 for Windows

Problem

The messages, "An Error Has Occurred Trying to Logon to MAPI for Address
    Book Services" followed by "There was an error starting the Address Book"
    appears when starting Corel Address Book 8 as a stand alone application.

In addition, the following message will be displayed if starting the AddressBook from inside WordPerfect: "Unable to load Corel Address Book.
    You may have chosen not to install Microsoft Exchange or Corel Address
    Book during the setup of WordPerfect. You can install Corel Address Book
    by running a custom setup."

Answer:

Scenario One: Running Wordperfect Eight after UPGRADING Windows from
    Windows 95-Windows 98

Copy MAPWIN95.DLL from the WordPerfect 8 CD (in \COREL\SUITE8\APPMAN\WKSWPI8 if using the Suite 8 Professional CD and
    \COREL\APPMAN\WKSWPI8 if using the Suite 8 CD) to the windows\system
    directory. Rename MAPI32.DLL in the windows\system directory and then rename MAPWIN95.DLL to MAPI32.DLL.

Note:After copying this file you need to right click on the file and edit the properties. Once on the properties screen, uncheck the read only box
    and click OK

Scenario Two: Installing Wordperfect Eight on a Factory install of Windows

Copy MAPWIN95.DLL from the WordPerfect 8 CD (in \COREL\SUITE8\APPMAN\WKSWPI8 if using the Suite 8 Professional CD and \COREL\APPMAN\WKSWPI8 if using the Suite 8 CD) to the windows\system
    directory. Rename MAPI32.DLL in the windows\system directory and then
    rename MAPWIN95.DLL to MAPI32.DLL. You will need to reinstall windows
    message and the Address Book at this time. The addressbook will open but
    return the error: " The current profile contains no Address Book". This is caused by changing the mapi32.dll file all entry points and settings are not correct for exchange after renaming the file.

Note: After copying this file you need to right click on the file and edit the properties. Once on the properties screen, uncheck the read only box and click OK

After renaming this file you will need to re-install the Address Book portion of WordPerfect.

1. Back up the files located in the database folder
    (C:\COREL\SUITE8\SHARED\ADDRESS\DATABASE)
    2. Delete the address directory
    3. Click on start and run
    4. (Select the CD-ROM drive) and then choose setup.exe
    5. Run the setup Program
    6. Follow the onscreen instructions until you reach the Installation Type
    screen
    7. Choose Custom Installation
    8. Continue until you reach the custom installation screen
    9. Click on the Custom Selection button
    10. Choose the option Deselect All Button
    11. The last option in this list is required components
    12. Click the components button