1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New laptop - so slow!!

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by lurla, Oct 16, 2018.

1. lurla

lurla Established Techie7 Member

I only have this computer a couple of months maybe.. I have barely downloaded anything other than a couple of things suggested here and some add ons for chrome. I was using my old laptop for a few minutes earlier, its about 4 yrs old, and it seems to run faster. I'm noticing if i have Chrome open for too long or open and close a lot of different browsers (which I do a lot because I have to find research articles etc.) it slows down a lot.. Facebook slows to the point where I just shut down the whole browser and start over. There doesn't seem to be a lot in start up. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Acer Aspire A315-21-92FK 15.6” Laptop with AMD A9 9420 Processor, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, & Windows 10

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

What are you using for security?

Notebooks are notorious for coming with all sorts of added 3rd party programs no one needs that hog resources. Have you gone through your startup programs and disabled those non-Microsoft programs you don't need starting with Windows?

Have you run Windows Disk Cleanup?

3. lurla

This is what task manager shows in start up. I am using windows defender for security and have a trial of Malwarebytes. I uninstalled Norton from the computer when I got it. I haven't run disk clean up but I'll try that now.

upload_2018-10-16_14-42-43.png

4. lurla

I ran disk clean up and restarted the computer. Doesn't seem to be much difference, speedwise. The fan runs a lot, loudly on and off too, which seems to coincide with the lag in speed. There's no way this one could be slower than my last one! lol I feel like im missing something simple..

5. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

As Digerati says, new laptops often come pre-loaded with all sorts of stuff you don't need and/or will never use.

They may not be in start-up but may 'hide' in scheduled tasks or elsewhere. (eg. scheduled tasks often trigger 5/10 minutes after start up).

Try running something like AdwCleaner from Malwarebytes, which can find them as PUP's (Potentially Unwanted Programmes) and remove them for you.
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
    Of course it may find junk things that you do want to keep, it's up to you. (That's why they are potentially unwanted).

Other junkware cleaners are available. (But I know who I trust).

6. lurla

Ok I ran AdwCleaner .. it didn't find much but I removed what it did find. I'm really at a loss about why it's so slow. Could it be Chrome itself? I mostly use the computer for course work from college online, and searching journal articles. My kids have never used this computer (but always use the old one lol) so they haven't downloaded anything to slow it down. Facebook really slows me down.. it lags when i try to write in messenger (like the words come in after I type them by about 5 or 10 seconds) and the more I scroll, the slower it gets. Videos in fb aren't worth the effort because they buffer every few seconds.