1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows10, version 1809 scare!

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by cyberwasp, Oct 10, 2018.

1. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

On 10/03/18 I received the windows 10, version 1809 cumulative update before hearing of the proposed issue with it deleting user files. However I did not have any issues other than it fixing a glitch with the Edge browser.

Today I received another 1809 feature update. Is this the update that is deleting files and not the previous one. I have temporarily suspended updates, just in case. TIA

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

3. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

Very few people were affected, and those were 'advanced' users who had redirected their user folders (usually to a different drive).

'Official' from Microsoft is that it was caused by users having 'Known Folder Redirection' enabled, but still keeping files in the previous location as well as the 'relocated' location.

Seems there had been complaints of these Known Folders showing as duplicates, so the Update removed the old locations - but didn't check that they were empty first.

It was also a problem with KFR becoming turned on when using some options of Onedrive.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ber-2018-update-released-to-windows-insiders/

PS. There is also another problem emerging for those who downloaded 1809 on a HP machine.
    That's a driver issue and again should only affect very few people who manually downloaded it before Windows Update offered it to them.

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Microsoft claims fewer than 1/10th of 1 percent. But with over 600 million W10 users, that is still over 600,000 upset users. And 600,000 upset users can make a lot of noise - especially when amplified by those in the IT press seeking attention. Regardless, this could have been found during testing and before the updates were released to the general public as it was identified by some Windows Insiders. But sadly, that information never made it to the right people.

5. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

It was found, and reported, by the insiders programme.

But it wasn't flagged as a major problem because it wasn't reported a lot. (Less than 1/10th percent of reports?).
    Microsoft have now changed the problem reporting so that a 'severity' flag can be added to problem reports.

Nowhere like 600,000 users would have been affected, remember that 1809 had not been pushed out at that stage and only 'advanced' users had sought it out.
    These are the very users who would have been likely to use KFR's, the majority of Win10 home users wouldn't even know about KFR's.

But yes there are 'Windows Bashers' about, even in the press, who will gleefully jump on any issue and magnify it for shock value.

MS have now released a patch for the HP driver problem:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-blue-screen-error-wdf-violation-after-instal