1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by cyberwasp, Sep 15, 2018.

1. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

On the last two windows feature updates I've come across a small problem. As the system is restarting I have gotten the, "Oooops, something has gone wrong and windows is collecting data," screen and the only clue was on the 8/15 update, "Driver Power State Failure."

I had to turn off the system to complete the restart. Everything is running fine that I can tell including minor updates to windows. I've run SFC /scannow with no problems detected. All my programs seem to be ok. I've run memory tests and have updated my video driver also. Anyone have any clues I would appreciate it. TIA

STRIX Z270E GAMING
    Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1803
    4.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-7700K
    32628 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB [Hard drive] (1024.21 GB) -- drive 0, s/n
    3023.55 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    2636.08 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB [9/5/2018 driver - 24.21.13.992]

PS. is there a good driver update program that isn't a scam.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Being a scam is not the issue. Windows 10 and your current drivers just don't need a 3rd party app to keep drivers updated. You don't need to update drivers just because new drivers are out there. If your computer ain't broke, don't fix it!

For those components that might actually benefit from regular driver updates, there typically is an associated application to keep watch for updates. Your graphics card is a perfect example.

So everything is working fine now? To be sure, do a "cold" restart. By "cold" I mean shutdown Windows, power off your computer and unplug it from the wall for about 1 minute. If you don't unplug (or, if your power supply has one, set the master power switch on the back of the PSU to off), +5Vsb standby voltage is still applied to many points on the motherboard, including to all the connected devices. This voltage is used to hold settings and data when the computer is simply shut off (which really just puts it in standby mode). Doing a full "cold" restart allows those drivers and settings to be fully reset or updated. That may be all that is needed here.

3. cyberwasp

I agree with, "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Also the only driver I regularly check is the video card. I suppose I should ignore the update crashes then? Next time I power down I will pull the plug. Actually I usually do it weekly to reset the modem but it's less than a minute.

4. Digerati

I didn't say ignore. I asked if everything is working fine now?

5. cyberwasp

As I said in the initial message, everything is working fine. It's just unnerving when a 2 major updates causes a blue screen.

6. Digerati

Yes it it. And I would not like it either. But BSODs happen. But typically, Windows is pretty good at sorting itself out after a reboot or two and it sounds like that is what happened here. It is when BSODs continue that you really need to worry about it. Glad it seems to be working fine.