1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP Envy 5646 print and scan problems

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by theoldandgrey, Aug 3, 2018.

1. theoldandgrey

theoldandgrey Established Techie7 Member

I have Windows 10 and the above printer which has suddenly decided to show very very dark green for all shades of green New cartridges installed but just the same outcome. I have uninstalled and downloaded and installed the software several times - each time with a new edition in case the download was corrupt. Still not working correctly - any help very welcome/

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

There are some troubleshooting tips here. One I had never heard before under "Black Ink Not Printing and other Print Quality Issues" is to just let the printer rest for a couple hours.

Try printing a Test Page from the printer's front panel menu system (see page 80 of your manual). If the test page is messed up too, the problem is with the printer and has nothing to do with your computer or Windows 10.

3. theoldandgrey

Thanks for those tips which I have followed. The Print Quality Diagnostics is perfect! But it still prints incorrectly from files - ok for text but not images Incidentally I have downloaded and reinstalled the drivers etc having turned off my firewall and anti virus just in case it made a difference - no such luck. When I received your advice the printer had been off for about 3 hours.

4. Digerati

First, enable your firewall and anti-virus again. Those might block print jobs completely, but not corrupt colors.

Not sure what to suggest. If me, I would try a different computer. If it works fine there, then on this computer, disconnect the printer, and completely uninstall all the drivers and software for the printer. Then do a "cold" reboot. By "cold" I mean to shut down the computer and unplug it from the wall for about 15-30 seconds. Then plug in and boot. Then install the printer again.

5. theoldandgrey

Hi thanks for those tips. Unfortunately I do not have access to another pc so cannot follow that. I have done the reboot to no avail. As mentioned above the test report shows a perfect page so I am wondering if the pc is not talking correctly to the printer. It seems to happen whether I use Photoshop, Publisher, Gimp or Paint.net I've done the rounds! Anyway thanks for trying I will just have to give up on colourwork until I can afford a new printer.

6. theoldandgrey

After all this I have decided the least stressful(!) way for the time being is to alter all the green RGB settings so that whilst they are much lighter on the screen they print out to the shades I require. Wasteful on ink using trial and error but I got there in the end. I was working to a deadline which is now very near so I will submit my changed copy and continue at my leisure to try and solve the problem I have printed out a selection of other colours and find the same problem with the red shades - very strange. Anyway thanks for your help I wish we could have solved it but who knows? I will post if I find the solution

7. Digerati

Are you using genuine HP ink? I don't want to get into a debate about 3rd party inks. I will just say I have seen odd printing problems go away when 3rd party ink cartridges are replaced with genuine ink. This on my own HP printers, as well as other brand printers too.

While 3rd party makers promise compatibility, only the original printer makers can guarantee consistency between batches.

8. theoldandgrey

Yes no problems there, maybe it's a rogue set of cartridges although it did happen before I changed them. They are too expensive to replace so I'll carry on until they run out and just adapt future colour printing to suit. Then maybe it will be time for a new printer, nearly as cheap as a set of inks. Never been happy with it from the start but it is hard to find one which takes 160gsm card without spending a fortune. Again my thanks for advice

9. Digerati

I think that is part of the problem. Many of the budget, entry level printers these days are too cheap, in every sense of the word. They have become almost disposable commodities. I have found if you invest is a more expensive printer, they tend to last longer.

10. theoldandgrey

Yes I'm afraid I agree, my last one was a Photojet and far superior but purchase price at the time was about the same. Trouble is they 've taken away the things I valued and put in others which I don't need. You can't please everyone all the time. Still perhaps someone will leave me a bob or two......

11. Digerati

Good luck with that!