1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ophcrack Alternative on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by Kascery, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Kascery

Kascery Techie7 New Member

My wife forgot the password of her laptop and my friend suggested me to give a try on Ophcrack. But I can't find any LiveCD for Windows 10 on Ophcrack official website. Can I use Windows 8 LiveCD instead?

2. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

You don't need it with Windows 10.

Do you know if she was logging in with a local account or with her Windows account password?
    The process is similar either way:

At the lock screen select the power icon bottom right.
    Whilst holding down the shift key select restart.
    This will bring up the advanced boot menu from where you can select the troubleshooting option.
    From there you can reset the laptop. (or totally reinstall Windows).

Look at 'Reset your PC' in this support article:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

I have used this in the past to recover a friends laptop from a forgotten password, whilst saving her files/photos/etc.
    The reset process created a default Microsoft admin account, from which I backed up the files/photos.
    I then created a new User admin account for her with a new password.
    And then removed the default microsoft admin account.

If that fails for you then you can use the 'Remove everything' option to totally reinstall Win10. (With a new MS account, or a new local account if you don't want a MS account).
    This will of course lose any existing files/photos/etc. (You did have them backed up externally didn't you?).

If even that fails then you can use another computer to download Win 10 installation media from Microsoft onto a disc/usb and use that to reinstall Win10 on her laptop.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

3. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Just note we have to tread lightly here. We cannot help beyond what suggestions are publicly offered by Microsoft itself. In fact, we are already bending the Terms and Rules of the site we all agreed to abide by when we joined this site. Note Rule B.11.n. (my bold underline added for emphasis),

4. nukecad

I agree, which is why I was careful to make no comment at all on any particular software, just advice that is freely available on the Microsoft website.

You are correct though, strictly by the forum rules we should not help beyond pointing to the Microsoft lost password page.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028457/windows-10-reset-your-local-account-password

I had just extracted a few links from that to save the OP some searching, and then added a bit of encouragement that I had done it in the past without going into too much detail.

I'll leave my previous post there, but if you feel the encouragement goes beyond the forum rules then please feel free to remove it.

5. Kascery

Kascery Techie7 New Member

Thanks for pointing out. I will research and try my best to find the answer by myself.

Thanks for sharing the tip. I will follow the guidelines in the tutorial.

6. Baksery

Baksery Techie7 New Member

So I made the Hirens boot USB key, it boots fine on my laptop. I go on the Surface, go into setup (Volume Up, Power On), I change the boot sequence to USB->HDD, but it doesn't boot.

Any ideas?

7. nukecad

So you have downloaded a 3rd party toolbox, presumably for the password recovery tools it contains.

Which bit of the above about not helping with 3rd party password cracking tools did you not understand?

I will only say one thing about what you appear to have downloaded-
    From a quick look at the webpage every version of every programme listed on it is well out of date by a number of years.