1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flash Player not detected

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by xero, Jan 30, 2018.

1. xero

xero Established Techie7 Member

On the weekend I went to watch some catch up TV on one of my computers. However the website told me I needed Flash Player. I was puzzled by this as I have watched catch up TV on that machine previously.
    I checked Control Panel and sure enough there was no Flash Player installed. I downloaded a new edition of Flash Player, compatible with my browser, installed it and restarted the machine. Again I was unable to watch the program.
    I went to my other computer and watched the program, but the first machine continues to not detect Flash Player and I am puzzled by this.
    That I was able to watch the program on one computer suggests that it is not a problem with the website, but what is going on?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Windows 10 includes Flash Player. What version of Windows?

3. xero

Windows 10 Home 64but
    Version 1709
    OS build 16299.192
    As of 4:00pm yesterday it was up to date.

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I don't know why yours would not be playing. In your start menu search box, type Flash and start Flash Player and make sure none of the settings are set to Block.

5. xero

There is no search box in the start menu. Cortana only brings up a useless result from Bing. I don't like either.

6. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

Which browser are you using?
    Both Chrome and Firefox started disabling Flash by default, others have followed suit. Which could explain why you used to be able to watch on that machine but can't anymore.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/web/chrome-56-browser-html5-default-flash-block/
    https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/20/12243990/mozilla-firefox-block-flash-august-2016

There is no need for a search box with Windows 10 - just click the icon to display the start menu and then start typing.
    That will search your PC for installed apps, documents, anything that is stored on it.

It's not very intuitive, you have to be spelling things correctly. eg. 'disk' and 'disc' will find different things.

PS. It won't find Flash for some reason though.

Windows 10 is strange with Flash,
    I show "Flash Player (32 bit)" as an item in the Control Panel, then if I go into "Programmes and Features" (or into the 'new' settings menu) there is also an installed "Adobe Flash Player 27 NPAPI", but then again there's also a "Shockwave Flash" add-on to my browser.
    Do I need all 3? I haven't got a clue.

7. xero

Hi nukecad,
    I checked the link for Firefox, which is what I am using.
    How do you account for one machine playing the catch up TV and one not? That is truly weird.:confused:

8. nukecad

Yes it is,
    I would suspect that if it is the browser add on then maybe one has the add on enabled and the other not? Do they both have the same Firefox version and security settings? Things like that.

Other than that I'd be looking at if they both have the same version/build of windows 10, same Anti virus and/or Anti malware, etc.

9. xero

Both computers:-
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Version 1709
    OS build 16299.192
    Firefox 58.0.1
    TFC
    CCleaner
    Kaspersky Internet Security
    SuperAntiSpyware
    ADW cleaner
    JRT
    Hitman Pro
    All settings for Firefox are default except for download location, which is desktop.
    They have different CPU and motherboards, but the setup is pretty much identical, each even has the same desktop picture. I am using a vpn, which runs at startup and the two may be connected to different servers. (I even tried turning the vpn off and visiting the site, no joy.) They are pretty much clones.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  10. xero

I posted on Mozillazine and they solved the problem: "Having found that site, did you check the settings for that plug-in to make sure that Firefox is set to permit Flash player to load? That would be menu path Tools->Addons->Plugins->set Flash to either "Always activate" or "Ask to activate.""
    Somehow the settings on the machine that I was having problems with was set to "never activate." No idea how that happened, but it is solved now.

11. nukecad

Good that you sorted it.

I had just done some testing with turning that setting on and off, and was going to post it with screenshots. No need if you have already done it.

As I said above in post #6 Firefox now set that to 'never activate' by default.

If you had turned it on in the past then it looks like they disabled it again during an update.
    Probably the update to v57 or v58 'Quantum', those 2 updates made a lot of changes to how add-ons and plugins work.

PS. I have that set to 'never activate' and it's fine for the majority of sites; it's just the occasional older site (or older video) that still needs it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  12. xero

Hi nukecad,
    Thanks for helping. The puzzle remains, why one machine and not the other? Guess we will never know that.