1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outlook 2007 search not working

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by Simpson, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Simpson

Simpson Established Techie7 Member

This may be a Windows 10 or Outlook 2007 problem! After recent W10 updates my Outlook 2007 instant search always returns 'nothing found'. After a bit of research I've rebuilt the index but to no avail.

If I start Outlook 2007 in safe mode all is fine and the search works perfectly. I have removed all the com addins except for AVG (which is still installed when running in safe mode) but when restarting normally the search fails to work, returning 'nothing found'. Any ideas?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I know this problem can occur if Indexing is not finished indexing. But I assume you have given it time for that. Have you tried a repair on Outlook?

See if something here help.

Also, do understand all support for Office 2007 products ended October 2017. I was a long time (and happy) Office 2007 Professional (which included Outlook 2007) user and I was really hesitant to upgrade since my life is pretty much controlled by Outlook. But I bit the bullet and bought Office Home and Business 2016 (H & B includes Outlook) and was very pleased to see everything (all my contacts, calendar events, rules, email account configurations, and emails, plus Word documents and Excel spreadsheets migrated over without skipping a beat. :)

There is a little bit of a learning curve and adjustment period, but not much. Office/Outlook 2007 looks a little nicer, IMO, but the trend with all software these days is to be more plain. Oh well. For security reasons alone, you should consider updating to Office 2016 pretty soon. I bought the full disk version because I did not want to deal with recurring annual fees. I say disk, but actually it was just a "key card". You download the installation file then enter the key and are good to go.

3. Simpson

Certainly have checked that indexing has finished and I have tried a repair to no avail.

I seem to remember somewhere that a registry hack would solve the issue but I failed to find the appropriate registry key in Windows 10 some while ago and was hoping that there would have been an update.

I appreciate that Outlook 2007 is no longer supported but, like you, 2007 looks so much nicer and, as the problem seems to have been caused by a Windows update, I'm putting the blame squarely on Windows as Outlook works fine in safe mode.

Thanks for you help.

4. Digerati

I hear you and agree - but that's very much the point. Because Office 2007 is no longer under mainstream or extended support, Microsoft does not have the resources committed to these legacy applications to ensure future Windows 10 updates are compatible with these superseded applications too. It is not just about security updates anymore. :( So even if this specific problem is resolved, it is very likely future updates will be incompatible that cannot be resolved.

I don't like it anymore than you. But at the same time, Office 2007 has been superseded 3 times over (4 times if you count 365). Microsoft gets $0.00 in return when investing resources to develop, test and distribute updates for such legacy programs. That's just throwing money down a money pit and not good business.

I just spent about 10 minutes looking for a solution and just about every one either points back to that Microsoft link above, paraphrases the steps in that link above, or is a verbatim copy of the steps in that link above. :(

I did find this which seems to be a little difference. The English and grammar are a bit rough, it is for Outlook 2010, but hopefully it is understandable and more importantly, works. Keep us posted.

5. Simpson

Thanks for the sage words - I cannot disagree but I'm still wedded to 2007! The article to which you refer was dated 2013 and no longer relates to the latest build of Windows 10. I'm sure it does somewhere but the instructions are no longer relevant to the current incarnation.

I'll keep looking and, when I need the search facility, run 2007 in safe mode. Thanks for your help.

6. Digerati

Sorry I could not be of further help. I will still keep an eye out and if you find a solution, let us know.