1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I cooked my cpu?

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by xero, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I would be uncomfortable with that. But that's just me. In reality, CPUs can function perfectly with no problems above that. If the CPU is not activating thermal protection modes out of self preservation, there probably is no harm - at least not immediate harm. But long periods of high heat can increase aging. And it can also affect surrounding components. So I would still want to look at case cooling. And if necessary, even going for a more efficient aftermarket CPU cooler.

2. xero

xero Established Techie7 Member

Thanks Digerati,
    The computer will spend most of today converting files, and I too am concerned about aging the cpu.
    I will take the computer for a drive on Saturday (tomorrow is a public holiday) and look at case cooling options and after market CPU fan with the computer shop.

3. Digerati

Well a quality case fan is much cheaper than a quality CPU cooler. And much easier to install too. If there is nothing wrong with your current cooler, I would look at case cooling first. And except for the fan failing, CPU heatsinks (as hunks of metal) don't fail - noting that you already replaced the TIM.

Keep us posted.

4. xero

Thanks for that.
    As for case cooling I am unsure what the shop will ne able to offer, it is a ten year old case with a newer CPU and motherboard.
    I probably won't do anything until Monday, tomorrow is a public holiday and they are too busy on Saturdays. Will post again when I have something to add.

5. Digerati

Case fans have been standardized forever. But older cases tend to support the smaller sizes like 80mm instead of the better larger sizes like 120mm and 140mm fans used more commonly today. If your case is not providing sufficient air flow through the case, then a new CPU cooler may do no good. If the case cannot extract the heat fast enough, CPU heat will still build up.

You may need to shop around for a better case.

6. xero

The case has an 80mm fan. An 1800 fan moving 53,3 m³/h is $14. A new cpu fan for this computer was $16, so I would expect one compatible with the other computer's motherboard would be about the same. In comparison a bare case is $70 and I would have to add 4 fans @ $12 - $19.
    I will take the computer for a drive on Monday and discuss options with the sales staff who are pretty good. At the moment I am leaning toward the cheaper option, I have spent quite a bit on both computers recently, and am not working so money is not plentiful. I was shaped early this week by my ISP and had to pay for 10 extra gb today, just so I could get this site to load, and respond to the latest post, enough is enough.:eek:
    As ever I would appreciate your thoughts.

7. Digerati

Just one 80mm fan? If so, that is probably your problem.
    Huh? No! There are many quality cases for less than, many with more than one decent fans included. Here are 45 cases between $50 and $65 (many with free shipping). I like Fractal design.

8. xero

Thanks Digerati,
    I am starting to lean to the new case option, and a new CPU fan. I figure that you get what you pay for. In the long run (which is what I want from that computer) it is probably the better option.

9. Digerati

Plus, in the long run, if you buy a decent case now, you can still use it with future computers.

10. xero

Yes I have considered a new case for that computer before. The updating of the CPU, memory, and motherboard cost $200. With a new case, fans, and after market CPU fan it will bring the total to$350. Not bad for a completely new computer.
    Thanks again for your invaluable input, don't know what I would do without this forum. :)

11. Digerati

Depending on the CPU, you may not need an aftermarket cooler. Many CPUs come with them and they are quite good and quiet too.

12. xero

I went to the computer shop yesterday, only to be told that there is no after market fan/heatsink available for that board, Gigabyte H82M-S2H (Socket0). Today I took the computer to the tech who put it under load and was unable to get the CPU temperature above 55°. I brought the machine home and converted a video file. The temperature went as high as 61°, into the red. Go figure. I was using Xilisoft to convert video files from ts to mpg, editing the files with Womble and then using Format Factory to convert the edited files to compressed mkv. It was Format Factory that was pushing temperatures above 60°, and it has also recently started taking a very long time to convert files. It was taking an hour to convert an hour of video, now it is taking 3½. So I started using Xilisoft to convert the edited files to compressed mkv, and until today the temperatures stayed in the mid 50s.
    I am taking this machine back there tomorrow morning for a stress test, it will be interesting to see what comes from that, and I will post again afterwards.
    I am perplexed by these temperatures, and disappointed that there is not an after market fan.
    As ever I would value your input.

13. Digerati

Huh? That makes no sense at all. The guy clearly does not know what he's talking about. I would not go there anymore.

First, after market coolers are designed for the CPU and socket they support, not motherboards.
    Second, as seen here, that motherboard uses the LGA 1150 socket, not Socket 0. In fact, as far as I know, there is no such thing as Socket 0 (confirmed here).
    Third, he could have easily verified that by checking the specs of your motherboard and of your Intel i7-4790, which clearly shows the LGA 1150 socket too.

As seen here, there are dozens of compatible heatsink fan assemblies for your CPU/board/socket. Your primary concern would be your case. It has to be wide enough (assuming tower) if you want a tall, side firing cooler.
    The difference between 55°C and 61°C can easily be explained by your home possibly having a higher ambient (room) temperature. In any case, 61°C when pushed is fine. I don't think you need a different cooler.

14. xero

The sales guy I dealt with was new to me and his expertise may not match some of his colleagues, generally that shop is pretty good.
    The shop is air conditioned, and my place isn't so that probably explains the difference in temperature. It is the first time Xilisoft has got it that hot, call it an aberration. The official temperature for yesterday was 30° and it happened about the time I was doing the conversion.
    The machine in question has an Intel G326033.0GHZ with a Gigabyte H81M-S2H motherboard, it is this machine that has the i7-4790. If you can identify a CPU cooler that suits that would be great, though the temperatures reached are borderline it would be nice if it was running cooler, as you say heat is the bane of all electronics, and these files take a good long time to convert. There is 150mm between the motherboard and the edge of the case so it should accommodate a sideways firing cooler.
    I took this one for stress testing this morning, and it got to 85°. Apparently it is one of the hottest chips that they have made, oh joy. The only way to get the temperature down would be liquid cooling which just seems OTT.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  15. Digerati

Don't over look your case cooling. It is critical you have a good flow of cool air moving through the case to extract the heat out. Poor case cooling can negate the cooling capacity of the best CPU coolers. If this is the case with the single 80mm case fan, I would look at a new case first.

16. xero

I haven't overlooked case cooling, I have fitted an 1800rpm 80mm fan. I discussed the issue with the tech who I have a lot of confidence in. It was his opinion that the case cooler would make a percentile difference, the real gain would be with CPU cooling.
    Also the motherboard does matter in choosing a CPU fan. The one in question is a mini ATX and the CPU fitted to this computer is too big to fit that machine. When I purchased the after market fan for this machine the sales guy asked what mother board I had.
    I think when I was told that there was not a CPU cooler for that machine, it was a case of they don't stock one. There may be one out there that I can obtain via the net, just not from that shop.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  17. Digerati

Not if the case cannot extract the heat. Spend your money where you want. If you are buying from him, no doubt he would rather you spend more money on new CPU cooler.

But again, if your case does not support more fans or a larger fan, you may have no choice. But IMO, I would shop for a new case, not a CPU cooler. A new case with lots of fan options will carry you year into the future. A new CPU cooler may not work with your next CPU or motherboard.
    That is not the same thing. Remember, you said earlier the tech told you there is "no after market fan/heatsink available for that board."

So now the same shop is telling you a CPU cooler would be better?

The problem with some microATX boards is, because of the size of the board, the RAM slots are too close so and large, aftermarket coolers get in the way of inserted RAM.

You do what you want. My position and opinion has not, and will not change.