1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

creating table of contents of DVD

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by jminkie17, Jan 7, 2018.

1. jminkie17

jminkie17 Techie7 New Member

I have about 40-50 DVD’s of articles, PDF’s & eBooks. I would like to print out and save the table of contents for each one, but it would take some time to copy and paste each title or print each one out. Some DVDS have hundreds of titles on them. My question is, * I was wondering if there is a program or some software that you can put your DVD in the drive and automatically print out and save a copy of the table of contents without having to type every one of them out. I hope I explained it what I am looking for. Would you have any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Just to make sure I understand, you want to be able to copy the table of contents of each individual article (and PDF and ebook) on those DVDs?

If so, I don't know of any way of doing that. For one, it is most likely the articles require Word or some document to view. The PDFs require a PDF reader, and the eBooks an eBook viewer. I don't know how you can all up all those programs at the same time, and use each one to then open up each article, .pdf, and ebook (without those programs trying to open up the wrong files), then read in only the ToC.

Now if you want to save a list of the filenames (the directly tree) on each of those DVDs, that's doable - but messy.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/204...s-or-a-list-of-all-the-files-in-a-folder.html

3. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

I'm guessing that what you would like to do is just insert a disc and a print out is automatically generated?
    I've not come across a tool like this, but there again I've never had to look for one.

There are plenty of disc cataloguers out there from a quick search, just search for 'disc catalogue software'.
    These will read a disc as it is inserted and create a catalogue of the contents.
    Here's just one (never tried it, don't know if it's any good).
    https://www.wincatalog.com/

You may find one that prints automatically, or you could catalog the lot and then print out the results.

You could probably do something yourself with a command batchfile, something like:
    dir E:\ /o>print
    (You may have to use '>print /D:{a printer port or your printer name}').

Save that to the desktop with a name like 'printdiscconts.cmd'.
    Insert a disc into drive E:, double click the batchfile desktop icon to print its contents, insert next disc, etc.

The time consuming bit is going to be swapping each disk that you want to catalogue.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018