1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outlook 2016 not sending email, particularly ones with attachment

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by xero, Jan 1, 2018.

1. xero

xero Established Techie7 Member

I have not been able to send emails with Outlook 2016 since 23 December. And for some time before that it would not send emails with attachments.
    I have run a full suit of a/v and malware scans with Kaspersky, mbam, Superantispyware, adw cleaner, JRT and Hitman Pro, and the machine comes up clean.
    I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office, all to no avail.
    I have a gmail account so have been able to send with that, but want full use of Outlook, that email address is important as contact for a number of apps I have installed.
    Ideas welcome.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Did it used to work?

I would delete your Gmail account from Outlook then add it back.

Instead of uninstalling Office and reinstalling, select repair instead. Uninstalling and reinstalling often maintains old user configurations.

3. xero

Hi Digerati,

Yes it worked fine for months with no problems until early December when it stopped sending emails with attachments.
    The gmail account is not part of Outlook, I access it via my browser.
    When you say
    do you mean via the Control Panel?

4. Digerati

To make sure we on the same page, Outlook does not have its own email accounts. Are you sure you mean Outlook 2016 (typically part of some versions of Office 2016, like Home and Business 2016)? Outlook 2016 is not the same as Outlook.com. Or did you buy Outlook 2016 separately?

And yes. In Control Panel > Programs and Features, if you select Office 2016 (if Outlook came with it) or Outlook (if bought separately), then click Change, you will be given two options to repair it.

5. xero

The Outlook I am referring to is part of Office 2016.
    I went to Control Panel and selected Change, and then Repair. Then I followed the suggestion and restarted the system.
    After that I ran Ccleaner and repaired the registry; it found a few missing dll files, all to do with Office.
    Since then I have tried forwarding your last email to my gmail account. It is still sitting in the outbox. I am perplexed.

6. Digerati

And did you delete the gmail account from Outlook and add it back as I suggested above?

If you don't tell Outlook to use your gmail account (or some other account), emails will just sit in the Outbox.

7. xero

Hi Digerati,
    Outlook is part of Office 2016 Professional. Gmail is a completely separate thing which I access via Firefox. They are in no way connected except that the gmail address is in Outlook's address book as I occasionally forward emails on to gmail.

8. Digerati

You are not understanding how this works. Of course Gmail is separate. This is because Outlook cannot send or receive emails by itself. It MUST be tied to some email account or accounts that are separate from Outlook. You have to configure Outlook to use your Gmail account in Outlook if you want Outlook to send and receive emails via Gmail.

I have Office 2016 Home and Business which includes Outlook so I know how it word. So I say again, if you don't tell Outlook to use your gmail account (or some other account) emails you send via Outlook will just sit in the Outlook.

https://theitbros.com/configure-gmail-with-outlook-2016/

9. xero

Yes I am understanding you.
    Outlook is configured to use the email address I got from my ISP, the same one that I received notice of your post, so it continues to receive emails. It was working fine, sending and receiving emails, until it recently stopped sending emails with attachments, and then since 23 December it will not send any email at all. I did not alter anything in the settings at that time. It may be that there was a Windows update at that time that caused a problem, that has happened in the past. With the way Windows 10 works you don't always know when and what updates you are getting.

10. Digerati

So for the 3rd and last time, I suggest you delete the gmail account from outlook and add it back in.

Also, make sure you are selecting the right account to send from .

11. xero

The only email account linked to Outlook is the account with my ISP. Apart from occasionally emailing myself from one to the other the two are not associated in any way. I access the gmail account with my web browser, not Outlook.

12. Digerati

Okay. I understand now. This has nothing to do with your gmail account. Sorry for my confusion there.

Can you send any email from this ISP account? Or only those without any attachments? If no emails at all, you may need to delete that account from Outlook and add it back.

Can you log into your ISP account via their webmail access? If so, then you know you know the password.

13. xero

Hi Digerati,
    Glad we are on the same page, sorry if I caused any confusion.
    How do I delete the account from Outlook? Do I need to back up my emails before doing it?

14. Digerati

I would not delete it until you confirm it is setup right.

If you click on File > Info, you should see Account Settings where you can verify, add and delete accounts.

15. xero

Hi Digerati
    When I received your email I was on remote hook up with my ISP as I was having trouble setting up a new account by myself.
    At the moment there are two emails, with attachments, sitting in the Outbox, so I am not sure if the problem is solved yet.
    I will leave the machine running overnight. It is 1.00 am here, and see what happens and let you know.
    There have been a few incidents in the last two or three days with applications not responding and needing re-installation, so I am getting myself prepared to do a clean install of the OS. Bit radical but it may be time.

16. Digerati

An OS reinstall should always be the last resort.

If you click Send/Receive in Outlook, those emails should go out immediately.

17. xero

Now 7.30am here. One email, to my gmail address sent after 25 minute. The other, to support@isp.net.au, still sitting in the outbox.
    OS re-install is indeed radical but I am seeing no alternative, except perhaps it may not cure the problem.
    I just exited Outlook to attempt repair of Office, and did not get the usual warning that it was trying to send an email, confusing.

18. xero

Repaired Office and restarted. Now it is not receiving email from the gmail account!
    I also had to repair the internet connection, that has been happening a bit recently.
    One of the programs I had to delete and reinstall recently was the netcard driver. That has never been a problem in the past, and I mean years. The other was Kaspersky Internet Security, again never failed to respond before.
    These are the reasons I am considering OS reinstall. But due to other things going on in my life that will not be before early next week, so there is time to maybe resolve this.

19. xero

Update, Outlook is receiving emails. I am confused by all this.

20. Digerati

I might suggest you create an account in Outlook for your gmail address. This will allow you to send email via gmail from Outlook. You can also directly receive email sent to your gmail account into your Outlook inbox. Then see what happens.