1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optimising RAM

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by Franksee, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Franksee

Franksee Techie7 New Member

I have an old i7 930 CPU with an Asus p6tse MB, that i use for gaming with a GTX 970, suprisingly it works very well considering its age. I have been told that I can overclock the processor using Asus AI Director. Unfortunately, Windows 10 is not supported with this Motherboard. Is there anything I can do?
    Also, I have recently installed 12 GB of Corsair Ram, how can I be sure this is being utilized correctly I do not see a vast improvement.

Many thanks

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Not enough information but I will say since it is working "very well", leave it alone. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" applies.

You did not tell us how much RAM you had before you put 12GB in. Understand for most users, 8GB is the "sweetspot" meaning less than 8GB and performance is noticeably degraded. But more than 8GB and performance gains are marginal, if noticeable at all. As far as optimizing what you do have, there is nothing to do there either. Windows is very capable at optimizing its available resources. The only thing you can do is make sure your drives are clean of clutter with CCleaner or Windows' own Disk Cleanup and that you have a nice big chunk of free disk space on your boot drive for Windows to operate in. If you dinked with the Page File settings, return them to the defaults (Windows managed) and leave them alone.

If you have many programs starting with Windows, review them and see if you still need them starting with Windows. These often include auto-update programs for installed applications we just don't need. The only auto-update programs you should have starting with Windows is Windows Update and the updater for your primary security scanner.

Short of that, migrating to a SSD would be the next step, short of upgrading to current hardware (new motherboard, CPU and RAM) completely.