1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVidia Nforce Network Controller stopped working (Code 10)

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by Davidjp, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Davidjp

Davidjp Established Techie7 Member

Hi, I have recently resurrected an HP G6065EA notebook with Windows 7 Home edition. I haven't used it for some time, but I opened it up and powered it and it was working fine. It then applied 69 updates to the OS and Microsoft software, after which the Nvidia Nforce Network Controller no longer starts and when I attempted to Update the driver from Device Manager I get the error message: This device cannot start. (Code 10). Running the Network Trouble shooter it doesn't find any problems. I have downloaded the driver from the net, but cannot find any resolutions to the problem. I'd prefer not to have to roll back the 69 updates, it took a day and a half to install them. Does this mean the LAN is no longer available with the last Win 7 updates? Thanks for any thoughts.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I would uninstall the network drivers and completely power down for a "cold" restart. By cold, I mean powering off the computer AND unplugging it from the wall for about a minute. This will ensure all traces of the ATX Form Factor required +5Vsb standby voltage have bled off and degraded, releasing any settings it may have been holding. Then connect power and hopefully, it will connect.

3. Davidjp

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately it didn't work, the device still can't start. The controller has the yellow triangle by it in Device manager, but Troubleshooter won't detect any problem.

4. Digerati

Can other devices connect to your network?

Is this wireless or Ethernet? If wireless, can you try Ethernet?

5. Davidjp

Yes, My desktop and NAS drives are all connected through Ethernet and the laptop with the problem is connected through Wireless. It's the NIC connection that isn't working. The thing is that before it installed the 69 updates it was working fine, so I don't see it being a hardware problem. My only conclusion is that the driver is incompatible with one of the newly installed updates.

6. Digerati

7. Davidjp

Thanks for that. I'll try it over the weekend and let you know the outcome on Monday.

8. Digerati

Sounds like a plan. Keep us posted.

9. Davidjp

Sad to say it resolutely refused to play ball. I even went back to the original installation disks and did a clean install of Windows 7. All that did was give the same result and an SP1 update followed by 196 updates which are still being installed.

I am left with the conclusion that there must be a hardware fault that occurred at the same time as a Windows update.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I appreciate your help.

10. Digerati

It would appear that way. Sorry I could not be of further help.