1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard not recognizing all installed RAM

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by ayemceee, Oct 28, 2017.

1. ayemceee

ayemceee Established Techie7 Member

The motherboard I have is a Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B150M-DS3H-CF (U3E1)

I already had two 8GB sticks, specifically GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Intel Z170 & Intel X99 Desktop Memory Model GPR416GB2133C15DC

Those were being recognized just fine and working without a problem. I ordered another pair of 8GB sticks (same exact model), installed them, but my computer is only recognizing the original two. Where do I go from here?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Try swapping out the old RAM and inserting the new in the same slots and see what happens.

And be sure to take the necessary ESD prevention precautions. That is, unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching inside the case or touching the RAM. This is to discharge any destructive static in your body. And never touch the RAM's electrical contacts.

3. ayemceee

ayemceee Established Techie7 Member

Aha! That did it. 32GB up and running. Thank you very much.

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Not sure why that did it, but glad it worked. Thanks for posting your followup.

ayemceee likes this.