1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nbec 2000 amibios 686

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by endruw, Sep 18, 2017.

1. endruw

endruw Techie7 New Member

Hello dear forum members!

I have an old Gericom laptop with nbec2000 amibios 686 bios chip ,and i wondering is there any bios programmer wich can program this chip?Because i ordered a nano bios programmer and it's not compatible with it, i know it's an old laptop ,but it's important to me ,can i order replacement with flashed bios ,or is there anybody who has idea about which programmer can flash it? Thank forward to the replies

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Hi endruw and welcome to Techie 7.

I have never heard of Gericom so I had to look that up. It does not seem the company is making any notebooks anymore. Are you trying to repair the BIOS chip or modify it?

You might do better contacting AMI support directly.

3. endruw

yes i tried but nothing i made a bad bios flash

4. Digerati

Well, if the EEPROM chip is bad, there is nothing you can do but replace it. If AMI don't have replacements, not sure there is anything you can do but find a used, same model motherboard using the same chip and swap them out - assuming your de-soldering and soldering skills are up to it if socketed.

5. endruw

I know i have to hot swap it with another gericom laptop, i have good solder skills and hot air gun it's not a problem ,so no one can help me ....

6. Digerati

Hot swap? No. Hot swap means you swap out parts while the system is still powered on and running - like swapping out a failed hard drive in a RAID array while the computer is still running. You don't hot swap mounted components on a motherboard. In fact, you would need to ensure all power was totally removed (including the CMOS battery) and that you ensured you were taking the necessary ESD precautions throughout the entire repair process.

And I sure would not use a hot air gun on a circuit board. There are many heat sensitive devices on a motherboard, including the EEPROM chip itself. You only want the chip's pin you are currently working on to get hot enough to melt the solder. You don't want the chip itself, any other pins, or any other component to get hot. You would need to use a desolder pump or a desolding iron and a bunch of heatsink clips to protect the device and circuit board while desoldering and soldering.

Sorry - it is not for lack of trying or caring. Way back in the day, such repairs were common because motherboards were so expensive so it was cost effective to repair them. So repair parts, schematics, and tech manuals were readily available. But these days, the price for 1 or 2 hours of labor cost more than a brand new motherboard so such repairs just are not cost effective. Consequently, there is no repair industry to support repairing them. My advice is to search ebay and the like and look for a used replacement motherboard.