1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing File, Edit bar

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by mthkumudo, Aug 25, 2017.

1. mthkumudo

mthkumudo Established Techie7 Member

I had to do a system recovery and now have encountered a bit of a problem. When I opened my browser I no longer see the file toolbar that contains edit, view, etc. also the minimize, X and the minus sign. Thus making life a little frustrating. I can’t get to the desktop to access any folders.

mthumjdo

2. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

First of all try moving your pointer to the very top of the screen to see if the toolbar etc. comes back.
    If it does then you have set your browser to full screen mode (by mistake?).

The F11 key toggles full screen mode on and off.

Otherwise:
    Pressing Alt+F4 at the same time should close any browser window.
    That gets you back to the desktop and from there you can start troubleshooting and repairing your installation.

There are lots of keyboard shortcuts for browser functions, and some of them can be easy to change by mistake.
    (eg. My speaker 'volume down' is fn+F11, so if I forget to press the fn key I put my browser in full sceen mode instead).
    Trying to remember them all is the tricky bit, here's a list of the popular ones:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/114518/47-keyboard-shortcuts-that-work-in-all-web-browsers/

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  3. mthumudo

mthumudo Techie7 New Member

email came but was in spam. I got it back. Is holding down fn the letter f and n on keyboard?

4. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

No, it's the function key, it should be marked either "function", or "fn" for short.

It changes what the f1, f2, f3, etc. keys do when it is pressed at the same time as one of them.

It's usually found on the bottom row of a keyboard, but some layouts differ and have it in a different place.
    (and not all keybords have one, because the f number keys only have one function each on those machines).