1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X for load balancing

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by Alex Grover, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Alex Grover

Alex Grover Techie7 New Member

Does anyone know how to configure Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X for load balancing between two ISPs(WANs)? First is cable ISP with static IP and another is DSL ISP (pppoe) also with static IP.

I have used it's built-in load balancing wizard. However, I end-up with following issues.
    -There is no space to add static IP for pppoe.
    -There is no space to add subnet mask, dns servers addresses for second WAN or pppoe.
    - Firewall rules are applicable for both WANs but it allows on WAN interface to select and there is pppoe interface listed on WAN interfaces.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I am not sure what this means.

When you say "no space" for PPPoE, what do you mean? How many nodes are connected to this router?

There seems to be at least 2 EdgeRouter X models, what is the exact model number? Not all routers support mulitple ISP/WAN ports. The ER-X model I am seeing does not.

3. Alex Grover

I meant "no space" to enter static IP, DNS and Subnet mask when you select pppoe for one WAN in Load Balancing wizard.
    Model: EdgeRouter X SFP and EdgeRouter X
    Firmware: version 1.9.1

There have almost no documentation on how to setup a router using User Interfaces and wizards. In fact, they are adding more UIs and wizards in newer versions. There customer support is via email and they use uncommon network terminologies in their responses.

4. Alex Grover

Corrections:
    Models: ER-X and ER-X-SFP
    Firmware: version 1.9.1

5. Alex Grover

According to EdgeOS user guide, both models support Load balancing and multiple WANs.

6. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Your first post implied you were using one router, not two.

Sadly, it has been too many years since I attempted anything like this. But Google shows several guides that might help you out.