1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvi-d to vga adapter

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by cyberwasp, Aug 7, 2017.

1. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

Am wondering why it's so hard to find a dvi-d to vga adapter. All of the ones I find and look at the dvi side show a different config, usually a dvi-I. Am trying to hook up my old pc with dvi-d to a vga monitor.

I was going to add a photo but there's no place to without putting it on an outside source.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjZLOy6GbYksga0TCNBFhWQKERj8Tw

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

3. cyberwasp

4. cyberwasp

if you look at the female I posted to the one you suggested, I highlighted the problem. My connector does not have the four pins, "circled in red," around the blade but all of your suggestions do.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjZLOy6GbYksga0U_MRetqAit1DqFQ

5. Digerati

Sorry, I understand what you mean now. The problem is, DVI-D is digital only. VGA is analog only. The extra 4-pins on the DVI-I connector are for analog. If your computer's graphics solution does not have a DVI-I connector (or VGA/D-Sub connector) , then it is most likely your system does not support an analog output. So you may have no choice but to buy an inexpensive analog card if you want to use that monitor.

6. cyberwasp

Sorry, I'm not so great explaining things either. The card is a GeForce GTX 1050. I could throw in my old card which has the right connector. It's an old hp 6core 3.1ghz machine that I'm planning on giving to a friend but want to clean off my junk first. Unless I can come up with a better use for it!

7. Digerati

According to NVIDIA, the GTX 1050 supports digital only. So you cannot simply use a connector adapter to change the pig configurations. You would have to use a digital to analog "signal" converter, then ensure you have the correct adapter after that. That is not a practical (or inexpensive) solution.