1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows XP computer sluggish -- of course!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Jimmy Joe, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe Established Techie7 Member

Silly to be asking about an XP computer, but it's still working for my elderly mom but getting sluggish. Wonder if there is any advice for me?

Thanks
    Jimmy Joe

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

If she connects to the Internet, you need to upgrade her computer - preferably to Windows 10. I know old folks (I'm 65) and we don't like change but XP just is not safe. And the problem is, when compromised, XP systems are then used as weapons and threats against the rest of us.

Note you can install Start10 on her system which brings back the familiar W7 Start menu and desktop and for just $5 (after a decent 30 day trial period) is well worth it. Or there is Classic Shell which many like too, and it is totally free. StartIsBack is a third alternative that many like and it is just $3. With these, the learning curve from XP will be much less steep.

As for right now, run Windows Disk Cleanup or CCleaner to clear out the clutter. Scan for malware. And make sure it is at least updated to the latest updates. If free disk space is still restricted, uninstall any programs she does not use. Defrag the drive too (after cleaning out the clutter).

3. Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe Established Techie7 Member

You are right that it is time to get into the future! Thanks for the advice.

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

It really would not be a big issue if compromised systems only affected the user of that computer. The problem is badguys look for XP systems to corrupt and turn into zombie systems to distribute spam and malware to others, or to draft into their bot armies to launch DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks on others - all without the XP user being aware their system has been corrupted. So it is because XP systems are potential threats against the rest of us that they need to go away - or at least not be connected to any network with Internet access.

It does not help that badguys seek out and target seniors either. :( :mad: