1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This PC folder column

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by cyberwasp, Jun 30, 2017.

1. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

When setting up my new pc I generally move my Downloads, pictures, music and video directories from the SSD to the HDD using the shortcut move command. In the process I lost the Video library icon from This PC folder and ended up with another Music link/folder. Is there an easy fix as I don't want to restore or start over. TIA below is a screen capture. TIA

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjZLOy6GbYksga0GvcoKGIFqjSw70A

2. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

I'm assuming you want to put a large icon for Video into the main window?

Simply right click on the Video icon in the left hand column and select 'Pin to quick access'.

To remove the extra Music link from the main window right click on that and select 'Unpin from quick access'

3. cyberwasp

Not really. if you look under this PC by default you should find 6 folders or links, "Desktop, Documents, Downloads, music, pictures and videos." On mine I have and extra Music and no Video.

it should look like this instead of the one posted before:
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjZLOy6GbYksga0IPUfREO92cLkexQ

4. nukecad

Sorry, on your first post you had 2 music folders showing in the quick access screen, one with the default music icon (a musical note) and one with the defaut video icon (a film strip).
    On your second post you show a different layout with different icons and only one 'music' folder.
    Your 'Devices and drives' has changed, and so has your 'Network Locations'.

TBH my first thought is that those screenshots are from different computers.

What happened to 'local disc D', and 'My passport F'?
    Even your default drive C seems to have changed size from 953GB to 119 GB?

EDIT
    Reading your post again they may well be from different computers, did you actually try what I said above?
    Those folder icons you see in the quick access window are just shortcuts, you can pin and unpin them at will.

5. cyberwasp

Ok, everything is getting too confusing to even start over and will just use it as is since I can find whatever I need. The link in my first post shows what I have on my computer which is a folder for music with the note symbol. Also under the other one also labeled music takes me to the same music location. However the icon actually is the video icon. and there is no video icon.

P.S. The image in the second message was copied from a computer that had a fresh install of windows to show the way it should look with the correct configuration.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  6. nukecad

Yes it looks like we have a miscommunication here.

Try this;

On your first screenshot you have 2 folders named 'Music' but one of them has the icon for videos.
    Right click on the one with the video icon and select properties, then the location tab to see where it is actually linking to.
    If it is not linking to your video folder then you can use the 'move' button the change the pathname, or try clicking on 'restore default'.

For instance in the following screenshot I had deliberately changed the shortcut path to point to my saved bookmarks folder.
    Clicking on 'restore default' changed it back to point correctly to the videos folder
    Clipboard01.jpg

Other than that you could try rebuilding the icon cache to see if that makes file explorer sort itself out.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rebuild-icon-clear-thumbnail-cache-windows-10

7. cyberwasp

I do that and they both change.

8. cyberwasp