1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flash not playing video

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by Derrek, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Derrek

Derrek Techie7 New Member

I've uninstalled and reinstalled chrome and adobe flash. I'll try to watch a video on crunchyroll or youtube and only some of the time will it load and play. I will restart the pc. The issue is consistent.

Please help!

2. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

This is Chrome itself causing your issue.

Chrome, and most other browsers are dropping support for Flash, this is not new it's been happening gradually for years.

(Flash is old, outdated, and insecure).

Chrome has been gradually changing a metric called the "Site Engagement Index".
    They are increasing the threshold for this month-by-month from February to October this year.
    It is this threshold that is changing the way Flash content is displayed in chrome - and giving some users issues.
    (It also explains why the issue is consistent; it is intended behaviour by Chrome).

see this article:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...ay-be-behaving-oddly-with-flash/#37ca3ab6143f

3. Derrek

Derrek Techie7 New Member

So, no anime for me?!! It seems I'm experiencing this outside of normal user experience.

4. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

Well if you visit a site often enough then you will stay over the threshold (for that site) until October when it is increased to maimum.
    After that you will get a pop-up warning everytime a webpage tries to load Flash content.

(I already have this set on Firefox, if Flash content tries to load it is blocked automatically and I get a warning under the address bar).

It's up to the websites that still use Flash content to convert it to HTML5 if they don't want this behaviour.
    (And to ensure that any adverts on their site are not still using Flash).

As that Forbes article says converters are freely available to do this.

TBH if a website cannot be bothered to keep it's content up to date then they are probably not keeping their security up to date either.
    Do you realy want to be visiting such a site with it's increased risk of malware infection?

And yes this new policy does seem to be affecting some more than others.
    I guess it depends on what sites you regularly visit, and just what hardware and software is inside your computer.
    That's why they are called Personal Computers, every one is setup and used differently.