1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Malwarebytes Lifetime License Question

Discussion in 'General Security Issues and Questions' started by nabed4t, May 14, 2017.

1. nabed4t

nabed4t Established Techie7 Member

Hey everyone,

I'm not 100% sure this is the right forum for this question, so please let me know if it isn't.

I have a question regarding purchasing Malwarebytes Anti-malware, if you go through their website the purchase method is a yearly subscription. The version they have is 'Malwarebytes 3 Premium'.

They used to do a lifetime license purchase that has since been ceased through their website; however, through the website uktechstore.com, they offer a lifetime license purchase for 'Malwarebytes Pro', the version is not specified.

I'm just wondering if anyone has purchased this copy before and if they were able to update to the 'Malwarebytes 3 Premium' after purchasing the Pro version with the lifetime license.

According to the Malwarebytes website FAQ:

I have a lifetime license, am I still covered?

If you previously purchased Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO, Malwarebytes will continue to honor your lifetime license for v2.x and beyond. Your update to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium is free. You will be able to transfer your lifetime license to a newer computer whenever you decide to upgrade or if you reformat your computer, but lifetime licenses are not transferable between users.

My interpretation of this is that is 'should' work…

Thank heaps.

Dan

2. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

That link seems to be MBAM v2 pro. (MBAM3 is called Premium not pro).
    They also seem to be selling MBAM3 premium at a cheaper price than malwarebytes themselves?
    (They are quoting the upgrade price from an existing subscription).

However I'm not sure that Malwarebytes would let you register a v2 pro version on a lifetime licence now?

https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/portal/articles/1834849?b_id=6438#can-i-buy-lifetime

There again I have noted some resellers saying that they have "a few" lifetime licences still for sale.

The question then would be; if these boxes come with a lifetime licence number then will malwarebytes still honour it?
    And will they put any time restriction before you could upgrade to MBAM3?

You could try asking on the Malwarebytes forum, but I see why you might be reluctant to do that.
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/

Do you feel like taking a shot for £30? It may be worth a try if you are going to get MBAM anyway.
    If Malwarebytes won't register it then you could try and get your money back from the reseller for selling out of date goods that were not as described.

(TBH I suspect that if you try and buy it you will find they are 'sold-out' but will sell you MBAM3 instead).

3. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBAM) is no longer. That was V2 and earlier and came in Free and Premium versions. The Premium version used to be called "Pro" way back when Malwarebytes offered MBAM with a lifetime license for a one-time purchase. But in 2014, sadly, Pro went away and Premium, with recurring fees :( took its place.

Then this last December, Malwarebytes 3.x came out. Note it is no longer "Malwarebytes Antimalware", it is just Malwarebytes. So really, MBAM no longer makes sense and many are just calling it MB3.x (though you will still see MBAM - out of habit, I assume). If you already own a lifetime MBAM license, it carries over to the new MB3.x. "Already own" being the key there.

MB3.x Premium went through major changes from MBAM 2 and is now being marketed as a full fledged anti-malware solution that can be used as your only anti-malware solution. MBAM2.0 was marketed as a supplemental solution, designed to work along side your primary solution.

The lifetime licenses for MBAM 2.x you may still see offered through other retailers are NOT authorized licenses. In most cases, they are just keys that were previously bought via volume licensing plans (which are NOT supposed to be sold separately), or just no longer used licenses where somehow, the seller got a hold of the keys. Or they are simply pirated keys.

Will they work? Maybe, maybe not. And that is the answer you are going to get on the Malwarebytes forums - some responders will say they will work, some will say they won't, and others will remind you that it does not matter if they work or not if they were not obtained through legitimate authorized channels. That is, just because something is technically possible, that does not make it the right thing to do. I guess I am in the latter camp - even though I really hate licenses that require periodic renewal fees, I feel it is better to just do the right thing.

In a rare case of lucidity - or probably just dumb luck, I actually looked ahead and purchased a bunch of one-time lifetime licenses for MBAM for my main computers and my grown kids when Malwarebytes ran a promotion before they changed licensing formats.

FTR, if you keep Windows fully updated, you don't partake in illegal activities on-line, and you are not "click-happy" on unsolicited downloads, links, attachments and popups, then I personally believe Windows own Windows Defender is all you need for real-time security. But regardless your real-time security of choice, we should have a secondary scanner for "on-demand" scanning just to make sure we (the user is ALWAYS the weakest link in security) or our primary scanner did not let something slip by. And for that, I recommend Malwarebytes 3.x Free.

I switched to MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) with Windows 7 in 2009 and the updated MSE, WD (Windows Defender) in W8 and W10. I use the Premium (real-time) Malwarebytes on my main systems and the Free (on-demand) version on my 3 other systems. Thus far, Malwarebytes has never found anything malicious had slipped by MSE/WD. So, IMO, I have never needed anything other than MSE/WD (and Windows Firewall, of course). But I get "peace of mind" knowing I have a safety net there, just in case.

That said, I also feel if you are going to purchase an antimalware solution, the new MB3.x is still the way to go. First and foremost, it is an excellent anti-malware solution and typically costs less for the initial purchase and less to renew too than the competition. And it plays well with other solutions. So on this computer, I have Windows Defender and MB3.x running real time at the same time. Running two real-time solutions together is normally not recommend because it might cause conflicts (two dogs guarding the same bone) or it at least wastes resources. But with MB3.x and WD, there are no conflicts and both are light on resource use so no performance hits either.

4. nukecad

Yes it's MB3, (not MBAM3), I guess we have just got used to using the old abbreviation and it will take a while to stop using it.

I too use Windows Defender as my real time protection of Windows 10, with an on demand weekly scan with MBAMv2 as a second check.
    (I also have the MalwareBytes Anti Exploit perpetual beta running real time, but that's another story. MBAE is now included as part of MB3).

I have not updated to MB3 yet myself, there were too many issues with the early versions for my liking.
    I will be updating sometime soon, not least because MBAMv2 will go out of support in September.
    And I'll probably keep using the free version, for manual scans only.

In the last 5 years I have only had one malware detection, a 'drive by download' attempt from a website I visited - Windows Defender stopped it in it's tracks.

I guess that what we are recomending is that if you feel you need more real time protection than Windows Defender (or your usual AV) then MB3 is the way to go.
    But download it direct from Malwarebytes themselves rather than using a reseller.
    Grit your teeth and pay the yearly subscription fee if you want the real time protection, or use the free version for a weekly manual scan to back up your realtime AV.

5. Digerati

If ever.
    Yeah, it was a disaster. They clearly pushed it out before the holiday break without properly beta testing it. And it took way to long to fix with even more stumbles along the way. But Malwarebytes v3.1 is now out of beta and has been released to the public. And reports are it is what MB3.0 should have been, and more. :)

6. nukecad

Prompted by this conversation I have just installed the 14 day trial of MB3.

I'm impressed by the improvement in scan speed, about 4x faster than MBAMv2 for a treat scan.
    (It does push my CPU into overclock mode, but the chip is meant to do that when pushed).

The real time protection modules do seem to slow things down a bit, not by much but noticable in the browsers and at a programme launch.
    I guess I've just got used to a speedy response on Win 10 and will soon get used to it being a bit slower.

Oh well I've got 14 days to decide whether to pay for the real time modules, or whether to just keep it free to run manual scans, and reinstall the Anti-exploit perpetual beta.

(TBH I think that between Defender and MBAE running real time, with weekly scans from the free MB3, I'm pretty much covered. No guarentees of course).

7. nabed4t

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't even realised they had changed the name from MBAM to just MB.

I emailed the uktech website and they specifically said that buying the lifetime subscription on MBAM 2 Pro through them will update to MB3 Premium with a lifetime subscription. I took the risk, paid the AUD $48 (hint: if you create an account, put the item in your cart and forget about it for a day like I did, you get an email from them reminding you to finish your purchase, they also provide a 5% discount code to entice you) and it seems to have worked. I received an ID and Key from UKTech, I downloaded the free version from MB and applied the ID and Key, BAM never expiring licence. No problems so far, I've been using it for a little over a day and it seems to update properly. I quite like the look of MB3 and so far I haven't had any issues.

Hopefully no issues will arise with the key, if they do I may be able to use the email from UKTech against them and get a refund.

Thanks again for the input though.

8. nukecad

Thanks for letting us know how you got on.
    Interesting info, especially the 5% discount.

When you open MB3 does it have a big orange 'Upgrade Now' in the top right corner? (Next to a blue 'Activate License').

If you still see those then it's not registered and is in the 14 day trial period.
    If you don't see them then it has registered properly.

Even if the license only lasts for a year you have not lost anything.

9. Digerati

Just click on the My Account tab to see your "Subscription Details".

On mine, for Status it says, "Never expires".

10. nabed4t

Nope, no orange button.
    Mine is the same. Never expire :)

That's what I thought too, it's still the same price for a yearly subscription.

I was quite happy about that, saved me a few dollars just because I was waiting to see what the DAL community thought, I'll always call this website DAL, I still use the D.A.L.com URL to access it.

Thanks again for the replies.

11. nukecad

I have been messaging with one of the administrators at the Malwarebytes forum and he confirms that this is perfectly legal.

They are aware that at least one major reseller has "quite a few" legitimate lifetime licenses still to sell, and Malwarebytes will honour these.
    Of course once all of these have been sold than that's it for new lifetime licences.

The licences are interchangable between Malwarebytes versions and so it is legitimate to use them for MB3, or any future Malwarebytes versions.

12. nukecad

I have been messaging with one of the administrators at the Malwarebytes forum and he confirms that this is perfectly legal.

Provided of course that they are legitimate licences, and not hacked/cracked.

They are aware that "at least" one major reseller has "quite a few" legitimate lifetime licenses still to sell.
    Of course once all of these have been sold than that's it for new lifetime licences.

The legitimate licences are interchangable between Malwarebytes versions and so it is legitimate to use them for MB3, or any future Malwarebytes versions.

Non-legitimate licenses do get spotted eventually and deactivated, if that happens then your Malwarebytes reverts to the free version and you have to try and get your money back from the seller.

He is checking that UKTech are selling legitimate licenses and will get back to me on that.
    I don't see a problem, it's not like you bought one from ebay or amazon.
    (Obviously any company found selling non-legit licences are in big trouble).

13. nabed4t

Thank you for doing that. Please let me know what the outcome is.

So far MB3 seems to be working well, apart from real time protection layers continually turning off, but this seems to be a bug for a lot of people that hasn't been fixed yet.

14. nukecad

That's been an ongiong problem for some with MB3, but others are totally free of it.

It's one of the reasons I was delaying updating mine, but since I did I haven't had any problems at all.

They keep working on solutions and it's getting reported less than it was, I guess it depends on your system architecture and maybe what else you have installed?

About all you can do is keep an eye of their forum page to look for solutions and updates as they come along.
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/41-malwarebytes-3/

PS. He's not been back about the licenses yet. I assume he would be back quickly if there was a problem so no news is good news?

15. nabed4t

That's what I take away from this situation. The site itself seems pretty legit and reviews about the site are mostly positive.

I uninstalled MB3 and reinstalled it, seems to be running fine now, we will see how long that lasts.