1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

network card speed

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by cyberwasp, May 5, 2017.

1. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

I have an old hp 6core3.2g pc and was wondering what my networks tops speed is. According to device manager the card is an intel 82567v-2. In device manager under the advanced tab, speed and negotiation lists 100mbps So I'm figuring 100mbps is my top speed even though tests show 115.67mbps.

Am just wondering if I'm understanding the specs and readings. my paid for speed is 100mbps, so if I paid for more I wouldn't get it as I've reached the cards limit, correct?

TIA

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Where are you seeing that?

Note your network speed and your Internet speed may not be the same thing. Your network is everything on your side of your gateway device (typically the modem). Your Internet speed is what your ISP is providing.

The network speeds your computer sees is determined by your NIC (network interface card) and where you connect to your network (often a router port). The Internet speeds your computer sees is determined by the slowest link.

Remember too that all connected devices (don't forget smart TVs, streamers, Blu-Ray players, smart phones, and other computers) all share your Internet bandwidth.

3. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

Lets try this again, I typed an answer and it vanished. I must of had a brain fart and wasn't paying attention. The tech from cable pulled up my Ethernet status which showed 100mbps under speed and then told me that was my cards top speed. Well I dug a bit more after he left and found out that it was showing the peak speed at the time. I later found under device manager I have a 1 gbps card. So if I increase my speed my card should handle up to 1gbps not 100 mbps.

advanced.jpg

4. PcTestCard.com

PcTestCard.com Established Techie7 Member

Yes, that is the maximum speed communitaction between your PC and the networks connects to your PC.
    1GB is pretty fast, isn't it?

Cheers!
    Bill

cyberwasp likes this.