1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duplicate Folders

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by White surfer, Apr 25, 2017.

1. White surfer

White surfer Techie7 New Member

I have got myself in a real pickle. I have 2 folders on my Desktop called Documents The first says it is a shortcut with the path C:\Users\***\Desktop\Documents\Documents. The 2nd presumably is the main folder has the path C:\Users\***\Desktop. I obviously want to get rid of the shortcut but if I delete anything in it , it also deletes in the original. The original folder now has a subfolder called Documents with all the files in it. I would like to revert to the original window which immediately on opening the Documents folder showed all my files. Please can someone help Many thanks

2. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

You can delete a shortcut icon from the desktop without deleteing the actual file or folder that it points to.
    Just right click on the Desktop Icon itself (not on the folder in file explorer) and select delete.

For the second point are you saying that you now have a sub-folder called 'Documents' inside the main 'Documents' folder?
    And you want to make everything inside the sub-folder be in the main folder instead?

If so then:
    1. Open File Explorer.
    2. Open the Documents folder.
      (This bit in green is optional, but it could help you to keep things clearer)
      (Right click on the sub-folder called 'documents' and 'Rename' it to some other name, maybe call it 'tobemoved'?)
    3. Open the sub-folder and select everything in it.
    4. Right click any blank space in the window, and select copy.
    5. Go up to the main folder, right click, and select paste.
    6. Check that everything has been copied up.
    7. Once you are sure its all been safely copied then you can Delete the sub-folder.

If you are not sure about any of this ask again for more detailed instructions, or get a friend who knows about computers to do it for you.

3. White surfer

White surfer Techie7 New Member

Many, many thanks. I must have had a very senior moment regarding the shortcut. I did know that but I was just trying to be too clever I think. Anyway thank you for the advice and I have now sorted all my documents as I want them thanks to your help. Everything all neat and tidy.

4. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

Glad to help, good to hear that you have things back as you want them.