1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recovery disk creation.

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by cyberwasp, Apr 5, 2017.

1. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

There is an option to create a recovery disk onto a usb which I did. My question is this. My PC came with windows 8 pro which I updated to 8.1 and than windows 10. Am wondering if the USB recovery disk I made is windows 10 or 8. TIA

2. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

The recovery USB will contain whichever OS you had running when you made it. (So probably Windows 8).

Make a new one for Windows 10, you can use the same USB stick and overwrite it, or get another one.

You may want to wait until you have the latest Windows 10 version, the Creators Update (version 1703, build 15063), which is due as an Automatic Update next week.

Or install it now yourself if you don't want to wait, I upgraded my Windows 10 yesterday.
    • Go to: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    • Click on the "Update Now" button to download the Update Assistant.
    • Double click on the downloaded file (Windows10Upgrade9252.exe) to run it.
    • After a few seconds wait it should tell you that you do not have the lastest build of Win 10, and that you can update to Build 15063 (which is the Creators Update)
    • Away you go, just follow the instructions.
    • The whole upgrade took about 2 and 1/2 hours on my machine.

I make a new recovery USB about a month after every major upgrade to Windows 10.
    It's not really necessary, older Win 10 recovery media will still work, it will just take longer as once you have recovered from the media it will then need to upgrade to the latest version.

There is some debate as to if you even need recovery media with Windows 10.
    As long as you have access to another PC you can always download Installation Media, for free, direct from Microsoft and re-install Windows 10 on the 'broken' machine.
    As long as that machine had Windows 10 on it before then MS have stored its 'Digital Entitlement' and will reactivate the new installation using that.
    (But it can be easier/quicker to use a recovery USB if you have one).

3. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

I've had windows 10 pro 2 months after it was released. I was curious as to what the procedure created. I thought it might be copying my old windows 8 recovery partition on the hard drive that HP initially setup. Wish there was a way to replace that with the installed windows 10 pro after the update!

4. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

As long as you have another way to run a recovery, eg a recovery USB, then you can delete the recovery partition from your hard drive (and free up some disc space).

You should be given an option to delete the files when you make a new recovery disc/USB.

You may actually have more than one recovery partition, one for each new version of Windows you have updated to, and maybe one from the computer maker.
    Windows will create a new recovery partition when you upgrade your version.
    Mine shows 2, one at 900MN the other at 20 GB (both empty though, I would need to use one of the tools below to recover the space if I wanted to).

TBH I've always thought it a bit strange to only have the recovery partition on your hard drive - what would you do if your HD failed or got corrupted?

This article shows you another way to do it using a free 'partition manager' tool:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/139710/remove-your-pc’s-recovery-partition-and-take-control-of-your-hdd/

And heres another that explains the multiple recovery partition thing, and has a different free tool:
    http://www.disk-partition.com/windows-10/recovery-partition-after-upgrading-to-windows-10-4348.html

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017