1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP - Support

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help' started by ylind, Feb 24, 2017.

1. ylind

ylind Established Techie7 Member

I'm Looking into HP support to resolve occasional computer problems rather than taking the machine to the shop and waiting several days.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

If under warranty, then fine. If not, it will still cost you.

3. ylind

I'm not so concerned with cost but rather speed and effectiveness

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

The thing is, when you call HP (or just about any) tech support service, you generally reach a "first tier" or "level 1" tech. These folks typically work for minimal wages, have very little training and are instructed to follow a checklist that may or may not have anything to do with your problem. The checklist is designed to clear the most common and most simple of problems. Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are the drivers current? It is like pulling teeth to get to a level 2 tech, and even then, that may not help. There will be very few level 3 techs and often, they may have to call you back in a few days.

And admittedly, as a tech myself, when trying to troubleshoot over the phone remotely relying on someone with unknown technical skills, using a checklist is often the best way. We, as forum helpers, often do much the same.

When you take it to a shop, the tech (likely a level 3 already) has his or her hands on the computer. They can see for themselves exactly what is happening. They still go through a checklist in their heads, but can immediately skip past the irrelevant steps.

Speed is nice, but effectiveness is more important. If your problem is nothing we help with you here, and if you have a reliable shop nearby, I recommend the shop. And with a shop, if you take it home and still have problems, you can take it back and demand they fix it right this time. And a responsible shop owner, who likely depends on you telling your friends how good he or she is, will be happy to treat you right.

5. ylind

Great advice - Thank you so much :)