1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermittent Internet

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help' started by ylind, Feb 24, 2017.

1. ylind

ylind Established Techie7 Member

my internet cycles on and off repeatedly. I use Netris wireless adapter but the same happens when I connect via a Ethernet cable to the modem. I include several screen shots

Attached Files:

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Same or different computers? If it happens with different computers then that points to the network and not the computers. If this is the same computer, it is still more likely the network and not the computer - but it could be the computer. It would be good to know if all connected computers lose connection when this happens.

I would start by checking the network cables coming into the modem from your ISP. You might also power cycle the modem. Do you have a separate router or is it integrated with the modem?

3. ylind

Router and modem are one - Only happens on my desktop PC the Laptop, right beside it is fine.

The problem persists with a cable connection or wireless adapter.

4. Digerati

Can you enter the IP address of the router (typically something like 192.168.1.1) and access its internal menu from this PC?

5. ylind

I'm using an Eternet cable
    Modem IP address is http://192.168.2.161/ - comes back "This site can't be reached"

6. Digerati

Then try a different cable. They are not very robust and can be damaged easily. Plug the new cable into a different port on the modem/router. Ports can go bad too. I would also do a "cold" reboot of your computer. By "cold", I mean to shut down Windows, power off your computer, and unplug your computer from the wall for about 1 minute. Then plug it in and reboot and see what happens.

I am assuming also that when you enter that IP address into your browser on your notebook that you have no problem accessing the modem/router.

7. ylind

Thx for the advice but still not fixed - off to Canada Computers (a great service place):)