1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To secure our systems

Discussion in 'General Security Issues and Questions' started by robertgeorge, Feb 21, 2017.

1. robertgeorge

robertgeorge Techie7 New Member

Our work involves a lot of online activities. Most of our systems are Windows operating systems. Protecting our systems from online attack is really a tough task. A few days back I read a blog related to system security. Here is the link https://nci.ca/what-can-you-do-to-protect-yourself-from-spyware-malware-and-ransomware/. Using antimalware software is a good option. Can somebody suggest me some software that offers online protection? Somebody told me that majority of malware attack is happening on windows PCs. So using Linux would be a better option. What do you think about this?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

It is critical you and all your users understand that the user is ALWAYS the weakest link in security - regardless the OS used. Users must be "security aware" and understand that socially engineered methods of malware distribution is the, by far, the most successful. This involves the bad guys tricking the users into clicking on unsolicited links, downloads, attachments, and pop-ups in very convincing emails or web pages that look authentic, but are fake and malicious instead. So the #1 way to prevent infection is by NOT being "click-happy" on such unsolicited items.

Make sure all network passwords have been changed from the factory defaults and that users have strong passwords on all their accounts - preferably different passwords on each account. Strong means at least 8 characters and mix of upper and lower case letters, numerals, and special characters. A password generator that that creates random passwords is preferred.

Next is to make sure the OS, security applications, and all other programs are kept current.

Then use a decent anti-malware solution. I use Windows' own integrated Windows Defender on all our W8 and W10 systems and Microsoft Security Essentials on the few remaining W7 systems. They are free and they work. But regardless your primary scanner of choice, you should always have a secondary scanner just to make sure you, the user, did not open the door and let something in. For that I recommend Malwarebytes. For most users, regular (I recommend daily) manual scanning with the free version is fine. That said, Malwarebytes Premium version is the only anti-malware solution I recommend paying for. The primary difference between the free and premium versions are the premium has a real-time component for constant, 24/7 system monitoring.

It is true that Linux is not the target Windows is, but using Linux does NOT ensure you or your users will remain safe. And for sure, it is important to note that W8 is more secure than W7, and W10 is more secure that W8.

Last, backup, backup and backup.