1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to upgrade from Win8.0 to 8.1 cannot access MS Store

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help' started by Riftvalley, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Riftvalley

Riftvalley Established Techie7 Member

Hi, I am trying to upgrade from Win8 pro to Win8.1.

I cannot open the Windows Store in order to get the upgrade. I have searched several forums etc and cannot find a simple fix to enable windows store.

i7-3770K, 16GB memory, 64 bit , GeForce GTX 660.

Two questions:
    1. Is is essential to open Windows Store in order to upgrade
    2. If it is essential how can I achieve this (when I start Windows store a page starts the says "Loading Store..." then after around 45seconds a message pops up saying "We weren't able to connect to the store.... Please wait a few minutes and try again."

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

3. Riftvalley

Riftvalley Established Techie7 Member

Many thanks for a swift reply Digerati,

After a few reloads I find that the store is now opening OK. However, I now have a huge Catch-22.

In the Windows Store I click on the Win8 to Win8.1 update and I get the error message:

"You need to use an account with Administrator privileges to install Windows 8.1. Try loggging in with the user account of an administrator of this PC and trying the update again."

So I switch to Administrator from the Start Page

When I click on the Windows Store tile in the administrator account I get the error message:

"This App can't open.
    Store can't be opened using the built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again.
    "

I could go around that loop all night!

I have tried running as administrator from the CMD line but clicking "run as Administrator" on the options bar does not work.

This is driving me nuts, going round and round in circles.

Many thanks again, any ideas it seems that I need Admin privileges but not in my Admin account, completely baffles me!

Martin

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator