1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I format the C drive prior to reinstalling windows?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by xero, Dec 10, 2016.

1. xero

xero Established Techie7 Member

I have just reinstalled Windows and I suspect the new installation is corrupted, some malware scans shows remnants of malware from two previous installations.:confused:
    Unlike XP, 7 does not appear to format the drive as part of the installation process, so how do I do it?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Neither did XP. During the installation process, you need to look for the prompts to format the drive. Otherwise, you can attach the drive to another computer as a secondary or external drive, format from there, then return the drive and install Windows.

3. xero

Hi Digerati,
    I seem to recall XP at least doing a quick format, but it has been a long time.
    I ultimately downloaded and ran Darik's Boot And Nuke http://www.dban.org/, which I got from Sourceforge. Took a while (less hassle than gutting the computer, though timewise it was a close run thing) but I was able to scrub the disk and reinstall Windows. At least now it is connecting to Windows Update, which it wasn't before. I still have reservations about an infection, I will talk to Broni if needs be.

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

If you wiped the disk, it is highly unlikely you have an infection - assuming your source disk was a factory original.

5. xero

Hi Digerati,
    Yes it was a genuine Microsoft copy of Windows 7, and I appreciate your opinion that an infection is unlikely.
    Any thoughts on why it won't update? I have left the window running for long periods and nothing happens.

6. texeon

texeon Established Techie7 Member

Hi Xero,

I agree with Digerati about malware being unlikely. After that strong of a format from Dariks the only thing I can think of is that the firmware of your hard drive has been infected (extremely unlikely). I would very much recommend you run a 'chkdsk C: /r' from command prompt on the system to check the drive health, could be on its way out or damage from a previous attempt at upgrading the system or moving the drive.

If you run into issues doing that, the 'repair computer' option on a typical Win7 install disk provides a command prompt that you can use to run the chkdsk command. Refer to here for more details.

If the issue you're having now is instead one to do with windows update, using the microsoft Fixit tools can repair the windows update components to get updates working again, use the following links:

And finally, if you're still looking for a way to format during install, as long as you have the correct windows 7 install media for your system, the trick to formatting your drive is to do the following:

Good Luck,

Texeon