1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renamed JPGs immediately auto-revert to old name

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by Sebastian42, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Sebastian42

Sebastian42 Techie7 New Member

As it happens on a remote PC, there is some uncertainty if that also applies to PNG (and therefore generalised to IMAGES). That CAN be established, but at the moment I do not have that info. I noticed the names were peculiar, because the format was mentioned in the NAME as well as in the extension. Also some of the JPGs had '16-character-code' names.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

3. Sebastian42

"this might have something to do with syncing" - although the computer is remote from me normally, the automatic reversion to old name happened when I was physically at the PC. I have no idea what would be synching with what. I have run 'many' malware scans. I have some experience with automatic Microsoft Diagnosis and am skeptical that it would fix something so specific and unusual.

4. Digerati

Skeptical? Not sure why but I sure see no reason it could make matters worse.

How soon after you rename these files do the names change back? After a reboot or what?

5. Sebastian42

They revert IMMEDIATELY - i.e. when the mouse clicks somewhere else

6. Digerati

As a test, open Notepad or Word and create a test.txt file and save it to your desktop. Then rename that file to test.doc. Click "Yes" to the warning. Does the renaming stick?