1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Occasional black screen with Chrome

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by tallin, Oct 30, 2016.

1. tallin

tallin Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Hello everybody, I have been away a long time.

My issue is happening only occasionally when using Chrome, my default browser of choice. Today it is not happening after a reboot when downloading and installing one optional Windows Update. Before rebooting I updated several cleaning programs ie CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and SUPERantispyware.

The issue is, if clicking on a email address or web link inside an email I get a black screen with three diagonal boxes in the lower right hand corner telling me WOT, Google Dictionary, and Google Translator have crashed. I then go to IE 11 and make it my default browser and when clicking the very same emails or links, they open in IE 11.

I have researched this and followed several suggested fixes but still it happens. This is my only issue. Very recently I have had an Analysis Malware removal check up - no nasties were found

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

kind regards,

Soon after posting this thread I clicked on one of the links within an email and again this issue has appeared. I will hopefully post a snap of it attached. Sorry, no snap as it did not happen when again trying it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Hi tallin! Still kicking I see! :)

What do you mean by "Analysis Malware" removal checkup? Was that via a program or did you have a malware removal expert go over your system?

I have found several cases of black screens with Chrome, but none mention the 3 diagonal boxes. None mention a permanent fix either but a common temporary fix is to use compatibility mode for Chrome, setting it to Windows Vista SP2 as shown here. It would not hurt to give it a try - you can always undo it easily as he did in the video.

Since it only happens with Chrome, I would not mess with Windows (other than that compatibility setting).

3. tallin

Thanks for your reply Bill - yes, still alive, glad to see you still keeping the forums honest!

I did the following and it has worked. Start > All Programs > Right click Chrome > Properties > Compatibility > Run this program in compatibility mode for WINDOWS 7. It had been set on Windows XP. Odd that these black screens only showed up recently.

Corrine was the expert who gave this system a checkup - perhaps I should have said, 'Analysis for Malware'.

Thanks again,

kind regards,

4. Digerati

XP? That is odd. What happens don't use compatibility mode at all?

Just saying Corrine checked it is good enough. ;)

5. tallin

If I followed the link you sent optioning Windows Vista SP2 a notification comes up to say my system will not be supported as Microsoft does not support Windows XP or Vista SP2.

Optioning Windows 7 is the ticket as Chrome opens from any embedded link each time. I have rebooted and the option chosen namely Windows 7 is held and Chrome will open normally. I can't see an option not to use compatibility mode at all....sorry.

kind regards,

6. Digerati

I don't have a W7 system here but on my W10 system, there is a check box to select Compatibility mode for that program. Once checked, you can then select the OS needed. If not checked, it does not use compatibility mode.

7. tallin

I see it now, black screen appears when no compatibility mode is chosen, but when choosing Windows 7 all is well with Chrome. I misunderstood when telling you it was Windows XP - actually Windows XP was grayed out on my initial check.

Thanks again all fine now.

kind regards,

8. Digerati

Great! Thanks for the followup.