1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer not recognizing all of the installed RAM

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help' started by ayemceee, Oct 1, 2016.

1. ayemceee

ayemceee Established Techie7 Member

I built my computer about two months ago, installing two 4GB sticks of RAM. About two weeks ago, I ordered two 8GB sticks so that I could have a total 24GB of RAM.

I followed the manual for my motherboard, which said that Channel A would be slots 2 and 4, and Channel B would be slots 1 and 3.

I installed the two 8GB sticks into slots 2 and 4, and installed the original 4GB sticks into slots 1 and 3. Now, my computer recognizes that I have 16GB of RAM installed, therefore not recognizing the other 8GB.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151

RAM - GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
    GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133

(Here are links to each RAM bundle as I bought them:

4GB x2 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144923

8GB x2 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144924)

2. ayemceee

ayemceee Established Techie7 Member

Request to have this deleted as it hasn't gotten a single reply in almost two months.

3. texeon

texeon Established Techie7 Member

Hi,

So sorry to see you haven't received any replies, but hopefully it's not too late to see if we can resolve this.

Have you tried running the system off one stick of 8gb at a time to make sure they're not dead?
    Have you tried just using both 8gb to make sure they work together?
    How about have you tried using a 4 and an 8gb together at the same time, and cross checked with the spare chips to make sure they play well.

A friend of mine had a similar issue and it turns out after 2 sets of the same RAM that they were all dead on arrival. Hopefully your warranty is still valid!