1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate Win 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help' started by ylind, Sep 15, 2016.

1. ylind

ylind Established Techie7 Member

I just bought a new HP desk top with Win 8.1 . I tried loading Win 7 but it would not accept.

Can I wipe Win 8.1 by a complete format and the reinstall my Win 7

my machine is an HP 110-210 A4-500 1.5 QC 4GB/500GB/DVDR

Hope you can help T.I.A.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

The question is, why? W7 was a great OS but it is already 7 years old and mainstream support for it ended in January 2015.

If the complaint with Windows 8/8.1 is primarily the Windows 8 "metro" style “Start Screen” and user interface (UI), then I recommend you check out Start8. Start8 brings back the familiar W7 Start Orb and Start Menu and lets you boot directly to the Windows Desktop instead of the Windows 8 Start Screen that so many people dislike. With Start8, W8.x works and looks and feels almost exactly like the familiar W7. It cost $5 (after a 30-day trial period), but it is well worth it IMO - it is what I used until W10 came out, then I upgraded to Start10.

There is also Classic Shell. This product also brings back the Start Orb and menu, is free and very popular too.

3. ylind

ylind Established Techie7 Member

Thank you so much - That worked great - one more question if I may

How do I adjust the spacing of my Desktop icons. They are far apart

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Not sure what you mean. Right click on a blank space on your desktop and look at the View options.