1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Love my XP

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by ylind, Sep 9, 2016.

1. ylind

ylind Established Techie7 Member

is there a way to get rid of this (attached)

4 computers in the house on a home network

Desk top (mine) XP
    Desk top (wife) win 7
    2 Lap tops win 10

xp.png

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Are you saying this appears on all four computers? Even the W7 and W10 computers?

3. ylind

No - only my XP machine

4. Digerati

Then uninstall Chrome and I bet you will no longer get those notices.

5. ylind

Can I reinstall later - Ilike chrome

6. Digerati

I don't know. XP needs to go away (or at least be blocked from Internet access) so I don't know if Chrome will allow itself to be installed on a XP system. Since it is no longer supported and because malware typically comes in through the Internet, I don't recommend using it - especially if your email client is web based.

7. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

You are going to start finding this with all your programmes that get updates, they will stop updating on the XP machines..

XP is no longer supported by Microsoft so software writers are not going to write new stuff or updates to support it.

Operating Systems get old, Sftware gets old, even computers get old, you have to replace them now and again.

You can keep using the old stuff, but can't expect to put new programmes/upgrades on there.
    I have an old PC running Windows 98, still works, I still use one of the programmes on there regularly. (Costs a fortune for the latest version).
    But I would not expect to get anything new to run on it, or to get anything on there upgraded.
    And I definitely would not connect it to the internet, way too unsafe.

Yes many people are still using XP, for many reasons. (Cost, familiarity, 'it works so why change it?')
    But you all know it is out of date now, there have been plenty of warnings over the last 5 years or so about XP's end of life which actually happened in April 2014.
    It will only become more and more obsolete.

You can still get some use from it, like I do with that 98 machine, but don't expect it to work like a new one.

8. Digerati

This is very true but retiring obsolete electronics before it dies is just a fact of life. We do it all the time. Remember 8-Tracks? Cassette players? Reel-to-Real? VCRs? Film cameras? Stereo? CRT TVs and monitors? How many perfectly good cell phones have we replaced for newer, more advanced phones?

But the problem here is security. And not just the security of the users of the XP systems. If that XP system has access to the Internet, that XP system is a threat to the rest of us! And that's the BIG problem. Bad guys are targeting these systems. Not to infect and disable. But to compromise, take covert control over, then use that compromised system to distribute spam, malware or to participate as a zombie in a bot arming conducting DDoS attacks on others (like banks, governments and other organizations/institutions). And they do this without the XP user even knowing their system has been compromised. And they are very good at this too! :(

For this reason only, XP needs to go away. If you just can't part with the computer, repurpose the machine. That's what I did. I turned my trusty old XP system into a NAS (network attached storage) server and used it to stream music through my network and as a backup storage location for my other computers. Just make sure you block its Internet access in your router.

Another option is to format the drive and put Linux on it for a great learning opportunity.

9. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

Microsoft has ended support of the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool ("MRT") for Windows XP systems. The final version for XP was August 2016.

Another reason to get your XP machines off the Internet.

10. ylind

THX for all your input - us old farts really hate change. I guess I have to get one of my grand kids to update me.

Thx again. This Site / Forum is great