1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ssd trim curiosity

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by cyberwasp, Jul 15, 2016.

1. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

I've had a Samsung 850 512g ssd for several years now and haven't had any problems in the past or now. I do have a curiosity question regarding the trim/defrag function in windows or that of the drive.

According to defrag, OS (C:) and recovery (D:) and my hdd (E:) are being trimmed/defragged automatically. However at the bottom it says, "System : solid state drive : never run : needs optimization."

should I be concerned or is this just a misnomer due to it being a solid state drive.

TIA

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Well, sadly, you didn't tell us anything about the computer! :( This is something all posters should automatically provide when seeking help. We cannot guess nor can we automatically remember what every long time members have - especially since it could be a different computer since they last sought help. We don't know if this a notebook, PC, factory or self built.

What OS are you using? Windows 10, for example, is perfectly capable of managing SSDs without any user or 3rd party application intervention.

You never as in NEVER EVER need to defrag a SSD. Period. This is because data is stored on and retrieved from SSDs differently than on HDs so even if a file is fragmented and scattered all over the SSD, that has absolutely no affect on drive performance, life expectancy, or file load times. And modern versions of Windows knows this well so defragging is disabled automatically with SSDs. This is part of the reason that years ago, Microsoft changed the program and it is no longer called Windows Defrag. It is now "Optimize Drives".

So W7, W8.x and W10 will not let you defrag a SSD. And TRIM is enabled by default in those operating systems too.

For those reasons, I don't use any 3rd party programs on my Samsung 850 Pro I use as my primary drive, or on my Samsung 850 EVO I use as my secondary drive. That means, I don't have Samsung Magician installed - it is not needed.

You also did not tell us what drives you have installed or how they are configured. :( Are your C and D drives two SSDs? One SSD with two partitions? One HD? Two HDs?

Is there a drive letter assigned to that last "System" drive that says it needs optimization?

Because I don't know your drive setup, I don't know why it says optimization has never run. That is common for Windows created "recovery" partitions. But for factory made recovery partitions, it may be different.

On my self-built systems, for example, I have a last drive/partition does not have a drive letter assigned that also says Optimize Drives has never run and it needs optimization. But it is labeled "Recovery" and you already have that as your D drive so I don't know what that is. Did you create that D drive? Or is this a factory made computer that initially came with just one physical drive, and that is a recovery partition to take the computer back to factory specs?

Running Optimize Drives on that drive will cause no harm. So I would suggest you select that last drive/partition and click Optimize. If it really needs it, it will run. If not needed, Optimize Drives will simply terminate without doing anything and the Last run and Current status information will remain the same.

Beyond that, you only need keep the clutter at bay by periodically running Disk Cleanup or CCleaner, and keep a nice chunk of free space available for Windows to operate in and temporary files - especially on the boot drive.

3. cyberwasp

Sorry Digerati, I'm usually more "with it " when posting. Even though my SSD is listed in the defrag I only defrag my E: drive which is a standard hdd for data. Windows seem to automatically trim the SSD partitions. Just wondered why it lists system as never run. I do run disk cleanup and ccleaner about monthly. Only thing I hate is one or both of them removes the password from edge.

Specs:
    HP pavilion HPE H8-1080T
    6 core I7 @970, 3.2g 12g system ram
    AMD radeon hd 7750 2g vram
    c:(system) Samsung 512g ssd " 361gb free"
    d: revovery 10gb free
    E: 1.5tb hdd Hitachi Data

Link shows my trim/defrag options.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjZLOy6GbYksgZ9laSzp_Lxl9Uba5A

4. Digerati

Yeah, and sorry for hitting a bit hard on this - but you've been around awhile so it kinda hit a nerve. I note you still did not tell us which version of Windows you are using. But at this point, it really does not matter since there is no real fault in need of fixing.

Much of the problem when no information is provided is it usually results in unnecessary delays for the posters seeking the help they are asking for. As helpers, we can only guess or generalize at best but that risks giving inapplicable, or worse, bad advice. So we have to ask for the needed information then wait for the replies which means it could be many hours or even days before we understand the problem and can offer the applicable information. In the meantime, the OP still has no resolution.

That screen shot answers most of my question about the drives. Note that D drive is an "HP Recovery" drive to take the computer back to factory specs. That suggests to me the "System" drive is a Windows created recovery partition and as such, is not user accessible and does not need any maintenance in spite of what Optimize Drives says.

As far as removing your passwords, nothing you can do about that with Disk Cleanup. But CCleaner > Options > Cookies lets you move cookies to sites you visit regularly to the "Cookies to Keep" panel. That's what I do with all the sites I visit regularly (except my banks, PayPal and such). Then when I run CCleaner, I don't have to re-enter my log in credentials for those sites. Very handy.

5. cyberwasp

No need to apologize, I need a good kick once in awhile. Am running windows 10 pro with all updates since it was offered for free download. and yes I should buy a copy so when this beast really goes south I don't have to install 7, 8, 8.1 and then 10.:eek:

Also lately I've been assigned to adobes prerelease team which was a shock. I put up a few observations on their new release and they liked my diagnostics. Photoshop is the only main program I have on here besides an "old" email program. Again, thanks for the help and the kick

6. Digerati

Since you updated to W10, I am more convinced that last drive is a Windows recovery drive. You can safely purge the HP recovery disk.

You don't need to buy a copy of W10 - just make good image backups.

7. cyberwasp

Never had any luck with those!