1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

initializing HD

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by seferli, Jun 17, 2016.

1. seferli

seferli Techie7 New Member

I try to install a usb external HD on my WinXP computer. The disk ix connected and recognized by the system. It appears on both panels of the “disk management”, but when right=clicking on it appears a wholly gray menu, and the “initialize” option is not operative.
    Please advise how to initialize the disk.
    Thanks

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I am guessing you came from the Apple world. You want to "Format" the disk.

3. seferli

as I wrote - I work on WinXP Sp3 and I want to initialize an external WD Elements 1TB disk

4. Digerati

:confused: Okay, but that does not change my answer. You want to "Format" the disk. Initialize is an old Apple term. With Windows, including XP disks need to be formatted and assigned a drive letter before you can save data to them.

5. seferli

thank you.
    So hoew do I "format" the disk, if the whole menu in Disk Managing remains grey and not operable?
    Please advide
    Y.

6. Digerati

When you open Windows Explorer (double click on My Computer), do you see this drive? If so right click on it and do you see Format as one of the options?

Please note I am working on memory because I have not used XP in years. XP really needs to go away because it is not only unsafe for you, but for the rest of us too if you connect this computer to a network that has Internet access. This is because bad guys target XP systems to compromise, then use them to distribute spam and malware or to enlist the compromised system into their bot-armies for DDoS attacks - all without the user even knowing the computer has been compromised.